Handlebar Mounting Rubbers

The 3 1/2 forum
tankstraddler

Handlebar Mounting Rubbers

Post by tankstraddler »

My early Strada uses four tapered rubber bushes to hold the two handlebar clamps in the yoke, an arrangement changed on later models, I hear. Does anyone know where I can get replacements for these rubbers? NLM have Kanguro ones which are better than nothing but undersize so a poor fit in the taper. Thanks.
pedro

Re: Handlebar Mounting Rubbers

Post by pedro »

Check out www.startgomma.com They certainly have all kinds of useful Morini rubber parts, and have something that could be what you want, the quality is much better than elsewhere in my experience.
Pete
tankstraddler

Post by tankstraddler »

Thanks Pedro; lots of interesting stuff here but, unfortunately, not the parts which I needed so here is what I have done instead which may be of use to others. As mentioned earlier, NLM were able to supply me with equivalent rubbers from a Kanguro which were too small: the diameter of the lipped top was just acceptable but the body was parallel, not tapered and the overall length was slightly too great. I found a washer of the correct diameter and bolted it to the bottom of the Kanguro rubber with a through bolt to give me a hard edge of the desired finished size. I had found some stuff advertised on the Internet called Sugru, a sort of plasticine which could be moulded to shape and left to cure to form solid rubber. It is adhesive and so it was a simple task to press it onto the Kanguro rubber and build it out to the diameter of the original top and the washer on the bottom and then run a Stanley knife round it pressed against the top and the washer to give the taper and a smooth edge. After curing, I used the Stanley knife again to cut the washer and a little of the attached rubber off to reduce it to the correct length; it looks good and fits perfectly. Maybe it will fail in service, who knows, but so far so good.
Brett

Post by Brett »

Hi,
Just thinking I have a Benelli 650s that also uses tapered rubbers to mount the handlebar mounts, they have one on top and one from beneath, possibly the same size.
Try one of these two companies who supply the parts for the Benelli, they maybe the correct size considering it was the same era.
http://www.benelliparts.de/start.php?lang=de

http://www.benelli-bauer.com/epages/150 ... 50_Tornado

Cheers

Brett
1974 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1940 Indian 741
1942 WLA Harley Davidson + Sidecar
1970 Laverda 750 GT
1973 BMW R60/5
2012 Harley Davidson Road King