Yellow paint (1976 Touring model)

The 3 1/2 forum
350-v-twin

Yellow paint (1976 Touring model)

Post by 350-v-twin »

Who has got the colour code for the yellow paint used on the 1976 3 1/2 Touring model? :?: :?: The yellow was combined with black on both fueltank and sidepanels.

Hope anyone can help. :idea: Example from a factory brochure:
www.motomoriniclub.nl/076.jpg

Many thanks in advance!!
3narf

Post by 3narf »

Did they ever get imported in that colour? I've never seen one.

My 3 1/2 is yellow, as is Hugo Wilson's. Mine is Ferrari Yellow and H's is a bit paler.

I like the Ducati '70s yellow best of all...
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

We used to have an black/yellow XT350 and whenever we parked it a swarm of flys would descend and land on the yellow parts.

I found out later that Ferrari called the colour fly yellow.

The bike in the photo looks almost gold, never seen one like that.
3narf

Post by 3narf »

It does; it looks like those old Honda CB200s...
350-v-twin

Post by 350-v-twin »

Yeah, on the photo it looks like gold, but it's not. I have seen one in real and it was yellow :lol: . Some 8 or 9 years ago at a Morini meeting. It was a genuine factory bike in a near-to-mint condition.

The yellow/black pattern can be seen on the photo from a factory brochure.

All I need is the colour code .....
3narf

Post by 3narf »

Aren't you worried it'll clash with your original green ignition leads?

:D
3narf

Post by 3narf »

350-v-twin

Post by 350-v-twin »

Well, a German fellow Morinisti sent me a picture of his bike. It was re-painted, but with the colour as close as possible to the original. It turned out it was a sandy-golden colour for the 1976 model. Confirmed by NLM!

In 1976, they also had a silver version of the Touring, both with large black parts on the side of the fueltank and partly over the side panels.

I have a photo, but how do I publish it in this forum?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Yellow does indeed attract insects-Rape seed beetles in fact, as anyone who has stood watching racing wearing a yellow T-shirt will know.
I tride recently to see if I could match some RED paint and came up with Audi Laser Red. The bike is not the correct red anyway.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

There is no such thing as a 'correct' colour for a Morini, or most older bikes. Colour matching between paint batches wasn't as good 20 plus years ago.

There's always some 'rivet counter' who'll complain that some Triumph is not painted the correct shade of Aramanth Red. The owner is often smug in the knowledge that the bike is wearing the paint it came off the production line with.

Pick a colour YOU like and then when someone says it's wrong, just tell them 'Ah, well, this bike was made in the latter half of July 76 when they were using an alternative paint supplier due to a strike' and let the sad git go on their way.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
DavidC

Factory colors

Post by DavidC »

Hey Guy's,

Someone here in Ohio USA that sold new Morini's recently told me that he would receive 5 or 6 new Morini 3 1/2 models in 1974 and 1975 and no 2 had perfectly matching shades of red paint. He said that Morini purchased different brands of paint periodically that had a tendency to vary in shades. I am about to repint my 1974 Sport 3 1/2, but I am just going to use a blood red. He had also mentioned that there were intolerences in the stripes and where they were located on tanks and sidecovers. Which is kinna cool in my opinion. It shows that each Morini has its own characteristic or fingerprints, if you will ~ David Ohio USA
Morinijen

Post by Morinijen »

Hello 350-v-twin. :)

I'm not sure if it will help, but I came across this picture on the Internet..

If you go to http://www.morinispecial.it/fans.htm you can scroll down and see the picture and a brief description (in Italian) and what appears to be the e-mail address of the person who owns the bike.

If it looks like the colour you are looking for I suppose you could write to him to ask if he knows the paint code. I guess you may need to write in Italian?

Hope you like the picture anyway.

Best Wishes,
Jenny.
3narf

Post by 3narf »

That's really nice!
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

I notice the yellow bike above has the ignition switch much closer to the side panel than others I've seen. Is that a italian home market bike or an early one or something??

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Lovely Yellow bike Jenny!!!

Morini currently are using Lamborghini yellow for a small batch of Corsaros (or rather, they did in 2006/7)

The bike in the picture is an early Strada - the give aways are the chamfered rocker box covers and the ignition switch position. I believe that these were in this position for the 73/4 model years only.. Very early machines also had a round rear light and rounded indicator lens, although early brochure illustrations show the first Sport and Strada with no indicators.

Must get out more... :wink:

CC