Thinking of Converting to Left Foot Shifting.

The 3 1/2 forum
Ballacraine

Thinking of Converting to Left Foot Shifting.

Post by Ballacraine »

Has anybody done this?

Successfull or otherwise?

I understand the US models were left hand shift, anybody any info on how that was done, please?

TIA

Nige. 8)
In faecorum semper solum profundum variat.
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Extra linkages and rods needed to transfer the controls under the engine to the wrong side.
They introduce even more play and sloppiness into the gear change when they wear. Lots of US riders ask for kits to transfer the controls back to the correct side.

Why do you want to swap over ? :?
I found once I had got used to a right side shift I could swap between right and left hand shift bikes with no problems, just took a while to rewire the brain 8)
Jem

Post by Jem »

I agree with Steve. Why? I have a '77 Sport (right foot gears) & '89 Kanguro (left foot gears) and the only problem is occasionally tapping the brake lever to change down... Clearly ones brain knows too much to try braking with the gear shift.

All Morinis from early '80s had left foot gear changes, not just US models. This was done by the frame incorporating a tube to hold the cross-over shaft. To convert an earlier bike not only would you have to add this tube to your frame but you'd also have to work out how to operate the brake from the right foot.
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

Having owned both left and right foot Morinis at once I too found that it's not that difficult - just use the front brake more! :lol:
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Thanks for the replies, folks.

The only reason for asking is the rest of my bikes have the 'modern' left foot shift, and I know what will happen in a moment of crisis! :shock:

Interesting info with the relevant dates there, Jem..
At least I know what I am looking out for.

True, it is not an essential, and the Morini is so different from the others I am not likely to get confused. I just wondered how easy it was really. :)

TTFN

Nige. 8)
moriniuk

Post by moriniuk »

I plan to do this on my track Morini. I was thinking about using the centre stand bolt tube to transfer the linkage across.
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Ah now that is a neat and interesting thought! :)

Nige. 8)
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

There's no way I'd go to a right foot brake. I'd rather convert my Dart to a left foot brake to match the others (not going to though).

It's much easier to balance front and rear braking if they're on opposite sides. If they're on the same side, your foot tends to follow your hand. That's probably why so many people advise NOT using the rear brake, too much chance of locking the rear.

I cope fine with both patterns, but it does take practice. The more you swap the easier it is. What I'm not looking forward to is learning right foot shift; one down, four up!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

I was brought up on Old Brit iron..... 3TAs, A10s, T110s etc.

Really had got out of the habit though......... :roll:

I am just concerned at getting confused at critical moments! :shock: :lol:

Nige. 8)
moriniuk

Post by moriniuk »

This really is a personal thing. I passed my test on a right foot change and seemed to have no problem riding different bikes with right or left foot changes at the time, 26 years ago.
I then only rode left foot changes up until I bought my Morini in 2000. I bought this with the sole intention of racing it and still had another road bike with a left foot change.
Well, the first time out on a track was terrible. I just kept on stamping on the rear brake instead of changing down gears.
Whether it's due to the pressure of racing, I don't know, but I've never really got used to the right foot change again.
It also confuses the scrutineers when they're checking the bike over.
Another problem for a race bike is that most corners are right handed and this makes changing gear mid corner difficult as your foot can get trapped between the road and the gear lever. This is why race bikes usually have a reversed "racing change" pattern of one up and five down to stop this and also to speed up gear changes.
For me, coping with a right foot reversed gear change would be near impossible.
Does anybody know the reason why the Japanese chose the left side to have the gear change on?
Howard
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Well, I suppose it only comes down to convention.

If you look at it this way, the 'Japanese' version probably makes more sense.....

Everything to do with going is on the left (Clutch & Gearshift)

Everything to do with stopping on the right. :)

I'm sure that 90+% of the time I would be fine with it....

It is just the remainder that worries me a little. :shock:

Nige. 8)
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

I understood it was the American market, or rather US regs that insisted in both RH brakes, as stopping was more important than changing gear, so that's why the Japanese had to go that way. If that is the case then all you "sinisteres"(?)out there should rise up, you must have a claim for discrimination.
I'm with EVguru here, its easier to use one on each side at the same time, (braking or changing gear) rather than two on the same side.

David
craig_uk

Post by craig_uk »

My Ducati 250 'Desmo lookalike' did have a conversion in which the linkages passed through a hollow swinging arm pivot on needle roller bearings. The two linkages passed through in a concentric fashion.

I have seen this on classic Ducati racers.

I have no idea whether it is possible on a Morini.

Craig_uk
'76 Morini 3 1/2
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I don't think it was a case of 'braking is more important' so much as different from British bikes i.e. a policy to protect Harley. They also had a rule that machines had to have a foot operated rear brake, which kept most scooters out. It's hard to imagine though who would be making a choice between a Harley and a Scooter.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Red K2

Post by Red K2 »

I have a 1985 morini k2 american version with left foot change also with neutral indicator light which is not normal. the gear change is very good.
I also ride bsa a65 right change 1 down 3 up and a francis barnett 2 stroke right change 1 up 2 down. I do not find it a problem switching from 1 bike to another. :D
Dave Red K2