Igntion Switch

The 3 1/2 forum
eekzoids

Igntion Switch

Post by eekzoids »

Morning all ...from very wet n windy west of Ireland
A year and half since last post....
Just reading latest club mag ATG 368....an article by Tom Farrow(Chairman's Message) about K1 sport ....he mentions removing ignition switch. Don't want to make assumptions but suppose he means the key unit ?
He then says he has ordered a new one...from where?....Mdina Italia? Would have asked him but dont have his e mail..
Looked on their website..entered 'ignition switch' in search....no results
As there are > 2,000 items didnt want have to trawl through the lots.
One item listed 'Lucas Ignion'....open listing...no picture, no information , nothing.
Is it just me or is the website annoying and inadequate? Many pictures lacking...a picture is worth a thousand words- sometimes..
I know we are meant to feel grateful that they can supply us with Morini parts....but they're not exactly cheap could they please try and improve their service?
Not sure who I'm whingeing at ....but grateful if anyone has further info
Thanks
John member 3405 ( paid up to date!)
mbmm350s

Re: Igntion Switch

Post by mbmm350s »

Hey John

What you really need is a parts books, if you have a pre 1979 350 - you can buy hard copy from the club.
[book applies mostly to 1980-1983 models too]

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/produ ... ducts.html

If you are a club member then you can down load it from the members area here
http://www.morini-riders-club.com/theclub/membarea.html
Then enter the part number into the site if nothing returns try adding a U at the end for Used
Was there something specifically you need?

P.s. I speak only for myself not with any connection to Mdina Italia.

Mark
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have only ordered a couple of things from Mdina ( that will hex it!) but when I mentioned an ambiguous part description it was changed pretty quickly.
John
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi John,

You can always reach me at the email address i the 'club officials' contact page at the back of ATG.

Anyway, you got my attention here too!

It was the ignition (key) switch I was talking about although in the end I didn't need to replace it. Mdina may well have the correct switch, but because I wasn't sure if the switch was definitely to blame I just ordered a cheapie from eBay. Honda Camino switches look similar and can be wired to function correctly. If you search for 'Ignition Switch Honda PA 50 DX VLM Camino Deluxe Special 1982-1984' you'll find the sort of thing I went for.

Regarding Mdina, as Mark says, you need to search by part number. If it doesn't appear, try without the dots separating the numbers, and also with/without a preceding M or a U at the end (or any combination of the above- The U stands for used and the M was something NLM used to denote 'Morini')

Bear in mind that Mdina took on NLM's stock when nobody else was prepared to put the effort in, and for that all UK Morini owners are pretty fortunate. Without a Rob in stores to help with identifying parts it was always going to be difficult, but what Mdina have done is catalogued every part that came from NLM and added them all to the website. So for the first time ever you can search for, and buy your parts online. Agree that pictures and better descriptions would be helpful but bear in mind how many thousands of pictures there will be to add, and that the margin and rate of stock turnover is not great on Morini spares, so as a one man band there is only so much Mdina can do before it wouldn't make commercial sense.

The club is beginning to foster a better mutual relationship with Mdina and so I'll speak with Andrew and see if there is anything the club could assist with in the longer (probably post COVID) term- I'm sure a few volunteer helpers could make swift work of photographing and identifying certain parts- but that would be absolutely up to Mdina as to what would be possible.

Good luck with the ignition switch issues and keep us updated
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi all.

Re the 350K1 6 pole switch.

Put in M460226U to the Medina search engine.

I just happen to be looking for one for my 1983 K1.

My question though, is that when I bought this bike no ignition key came with it.
During the long restauration since then, I’ve been able to use a flat blade screwdriver instead!
But it’s a bit “just” and as I can see no obvious sign of damage to the barrel I’m wondering if I could just buy a CEV key blank from Medina and save a fair bit of dough.
I have a 4 digit number on the barrel but I’m doubtful that my local key cutting guy will have ever heard of CEV, although if there’s some sort of database available for every barrel ever produced that’ll be no problem - I suspect there isn’t though . . .

So, can anyone tell me if it’s easy to get a new CEV key cut from a number.

Thanks,
Mark.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

Mark wrote: So, can anyone tell me if it’s easy to get a new CEV key cut from a number.
I buy keys cut to code for the Marelli switches found on old Guzzis from Keys4Classics in Australia. Perhaps they could do the same for CEV switches. Keys4Classics.com
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have two K1 ignition switches spare.One is beyond repair so the keys are redundant.Tomorrow when I get to the garage I will verify this as I had a funny five minutes back in the summer and cleared out my cr*p.
If a number is there I will let you know. Anyway I can post , and better crack on before Thursday, pending update from number ten once the rugby finishes.
John
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I have recently asked one of the busiest online vehicle key-cutting places here in the UK if they could cut me a key from the Morini lock-number. They couldnt
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Surely somebody can sort it out? There are loads of 'key workers' around...

My taxi is here...
Mark

Post by Mark »

PM sent John