Alternate source of spares

The 3 1/2 forum
Daddy Dom

Alternate source of spares

Post by Daddy Dom »

Does anyone know who else carries everyday consumables? I need the correct length clutch cable for an 83 K1.

I'm using an old one from NLM that was too long but I've had to jury-rig one end, it's working but not ideal. Engagement around sourcing the correct length one has not been simple or quick.

Frustrated of Auckland.
Last edited by Daddy Dom on 30 Jun 2019 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
MRC 3082½
Ming

Re: Alternate source of spares

Post by Ming »

You could get one made. A quick Google brings up people like this: http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/Applications ... cables.asp
Perhaps a similar search from NZ would find someone more local?
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

On my clutch cable the inner was too long so, nothing ventured nothing gained, I decided to cut an inch off it with my Dremel. I slid the ferrule off the (engine) end, sliced back the outer PVC, then, using a cutting disc, cut a groove in the metal coil being careful not to go too deep. It was then a case of opened each severed coil out to get it off the inner cable. Pushed the ferrule back on and fitted the cable.
A bit nerve-wracking but didn’t take long.

Alternatively try Carrot Cycles, not cheap but very good!
davel182

Post by davel182 »

I replaced the cable on my 1982 K1 with M360143LONGER from NLM which Mdina still list as available (but only 1 left!). The outer is 118cms and the inner 135.5. Note it requires a separate barrel nipple - they assume you still have the old one (which is unlikely if it breaks while riding).
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Venhill list both a long and short version on their site- Duncan
dunk
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've got a few of various lengths sitting in the garage. If you know the inner and outer measurements you need, I'll check them. Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

MarkB wrote:I've got a few of various lengths sitting in the garage. If you know the inner and outer measurements you need, I'll check them. Regards, Mark.
Thanks Mark,
I've just measured the outer at 118cm and the inner minus nipples (just the cable length) is 1325 or 1330. With nipples, it's closer to 1340.

It's hard to be exact to the mm as one end is frayed and I don't know the nipple diameter.
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've got 4 Venhill cables, with outers of different lengths. The longest is 94cm. On all of them the inner is 8cm longer than the outer. If you'd like one, let me know. Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Venhill are the reason I started making my own cables. They did pop up on the Forum once asking for feedback on the cable problems. I sent them a message listing the problems I'd had, but they never graced me with a reply.

On many of the early Morinis I've worked on, the clutch and throttle cables had clamp on nipples.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

The most recent set of throttle cables I had from them were a lot better then previous ones - maybe they listened or maybe I was just lucky - Duncan
dunk
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I have had good quality from Venhill however I always phone them and double check the lengths. I ask every time if they have drawings they could publish on line but they do not.
I am wondering about consistency now as whether the nipple is included in the outer length or not requires asking. The guy I normally speak to quotes nipple to nipple length however for the clutch the part of the nipple that is inside the engine lever housing is actually part of the free length. The free length being that between the two fixed points so often their stock cables are too long.
Consistency and a lack of fittings such as the clutch nipple does seem to be an issue.
The materials quality is good so I buy the parts and make them up or if lazy I have them make them to my exact drawings (much more expensive) . One common issue is the later clutch adjusters on earlier 350 the inner is too short.
With throttle cables there are different free lengths even with the Verlicchi twist grips.
throttles should be adjusted with the carb top adjusters around mid way and 1.5 to 2mm of free play at the handlebar. If this isn't what you have with the cables then subtract the difference to get the right free length and make them up rather than having adjusters dangling on the ends or so slack that the cables jump out.
It's amazing the difference that nice new cables can make.
Mark