Starting Problems

The 3 1/2 forum
SoloFrenos

Starting Problems

Post by SoloFrenos »

Hi Everyone,

I am having real trouble starting my 350, I have just fitted new coils, adjustable pick-up and had the ignition coil rewound (all from NLM) but bl**dy h*ll its difficult to start. Every time I try to start it from cold, it ends up flooding and I have to take the plugs out, clean them and warm them up for it to actually fire. Once it does start its run well (I am currently running in a rebuilt engine, so not thrashing at moment) but even when hot its very difficult to start (nightmare at petrol stations!). Oh by the way the plugs are also new (BP7ES) and it has NGK spark plug leads.

Can anyone offer any advice as to why i might be having this much trouble getting it started. Thanks, Tony
smotorboy

Re: Starting Problems

Post by smotorboy »

First check the spark color....Pulled each plug in turn, ground threads to motor, placed it so you can see the electrodes well (in shade), turn it on and kick it thru....

My mechanic grandfather taught me the following 60 years ago and it has never led me astray :

WHITE is all-right,,, BLUE will do,,,,, RED and your dead....

Robert in California
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Is that new conventional coils and the matching 'CDI' box? I must admit that I didn't take to their adjustable pickup. It seemed to need a higher kick over speed to start than my arthritic knee could provide. The new box/coils with a known good OEM red pickup seems to work very well. Has the rotor magnetism been checked?
SoloFrenos

Post by SoloFrenos »

Hmm, well with both plugs out it was very difficult to turn it over fast enough to get a spark. However when i did eventually get to spark I got a white/blue spark so that seemed ok. I then put the original pick up back on it and it fired up straight away. So it looks like my little legs can't kick it over quick enough either! By the way, yes it it the conventional coil and CDI box version, the rotor was remagnetised a few years ago (when i say a few, thinking back it was probably about 8 years!).

I think I will stick with the original pick up while i run the motor in and then once thats done I look at putting the adjustable pick up back on. But at least for now I have a starting motorcycle. Thanks for the help.
hendre

Post by hendre »

loose the resistor in the NGK caps, the iginition systme was designed to work wothout any resistor in the circuit.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

SoloFrenos wrote: and it has NGK spark plug leads.
Solid copper I hope!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
SoloFrenos

Post by SoloFrenos »

Hmm....looks like a new set of HT leads and plug caps is called for!
pedro

Post by pedro »

I find this thread interesting, I have a 350 sport fitted with NLM's ignition (by them) and it could not be described as an easy starter, needing to be on the centre stand and given a very sharp right footed kick. I have recently got another fitted with original ignition and it is the first Morini I have owned that I can start easily with my left leg, right leg, on stand, off stand, anyway you like. Is this a usual problem with the NLM ignition?
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Certainly not my experience with mine, Pedro. Very easy for a number of years. But then, I have had my carbs overhauled :wink:
DD
MRC 3082½
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

On the Strada, fitted with the NLM ignition several years ago, starting is a first or second kick. First kick (once the engine has been primed with a pass before switching the ignition on) if it's been used over the last 7 days or so, second kick if it's been left standing for a couple of weeks or more. The ignition replaced a Boyer system - they (Boyer) are not recommended...

Having replaced the inlets over the New Year, it took four kicks to start after a three month lay off. I reckon that's pretty good?

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

hendre wrote:loose the resistor in the NGK caps, the iginition systme was designed to work wothout any resistor in the circuit.

That's brilliant all my years working on engines and never thought of filleting the plug caps,
Mines a queer starter first kick after a 12 mouth stand but it can be very hit or miss though it
always starts, just slowly turning it over will often start it but on other tries it sulks,
anyway filleted the caps last night and it's started first kick 3 times today but wont put
the flag up yet as it's a law unto it's self but a brilliant bit of info.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image