Hone strong are these engines

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
Parky

Hone strong are these engines

Post by Parky »

Now’s that the weather is improving in the north of England I am starting to Put a few more miles on the bike and finding it a peach. It starts easily and seems very happy to rev without any vibration .
I just wonder how hard I can push it without causing damage. I am used to British bikes that you wouldn’t want to take over 5 or 6000 revs. But this one seems happy to keep on revving. I don’t want to be cruel to it but what would be a reasonable range for everyday cruising? It will certainly be getting well looked after with quality oil and frequent oil changes.
I haven’t found much information about them so I would be most interested to hear from anyone regularly using them.
Many thanks in anticipation
John
RedVee

Re: Hone strong are these engines

Post by RedVee »

My other half has a '79 registered one and has been charging around the Wiltshire back roads on it since 2016 no bother. It also went to The Colombres Rally in the The Picos, Northern Spain last year along with myself on my Strada and never missed a beat despite some serious ragging! He loves it to bits!
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Morini v twin: good belt, good oil and correct amount, warm engine, thrash all day
BarryCambs

Post by BarryCambs »

Having had a Guzzi for a very long time, I had to take a leap of faith to go past 4000rpm for a while, but once I pulled myself together and faced my fear, there was no looking back. I was out on a 180 mile round trip to the Norfolk Coast and back last Saturday and it was certainly having a good workout keeping up with the modern bikes my friends have.

As above, with nice clean quality oil and properly warmed up, I'd ride it anywhere and it's certainly not a bike that feels at all fragile.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

As with all engines, be sympathetic in allowing your engine to come up to operating temperature, but once warm, you can show it no mercy.

A morini responds really well to a good thrashing. Pretty sure the only reason the red line is there is to stop the needle falling off the rev counter!
Parky

Post by Parky »

Many thanks for all the responses. It would seem that I’m going to have to just ride it and not worry too much about the revs.
Still loving the little 250, especially the low weight. It’s certainly the lightest bike that I’ve ever had. Can’t wait to get out on some of the great roads that we have round here, especially upper Teasdale and Weardale
Thanks again for your help
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Parky wrote: 02 May 2024 19:29 Can’t wait to get out on some of the great roads that we have round here, especially upper Teasdale and Weardale
Thanks again for your help
Great roads, shame about the cafe on Hartside.

I prefer the roads around the borders, they are very interesting, although I do like a north south ride to the dales.

Are you actually in Newcassel or outside? I'm north of the toon.
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
Parky

Post by Parky »

Yes I am in Newcastle so need to do a few miles before I’m onto interesting roads. See from this months magazine that we have a new member in Washington. Seems to be quite a while since Hartside burnt down so we are pushed into finding alternatives. The kitchen down the road towards Hexham is pretty good, and the Nook on the road from Alston to Haltwhistle is quite canny. Tends to get full of bikers mind, but avoiding the weekends helps , which is easier to do when retired !!
Do you ride a 250 or one of the larger ones? Might even meet up sometime.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have a 31/2.

Yes, a meet up would be good. Lots of interesting cafes in Northumberland.

Tried Riiverside at Chollerford? Just along from Sycamore stump.
Parky

Post by Parky »

Called in at the Sill last week but I won’t be rushing back. Haven’t tried the Riverside.
Not sure how the Forum works but f I put up my mobile number can we then arrange a meeting or is that against the rules?
Mind I have turned into a bit of a fair weather biker so don’t fancy being up on the Roman road with some of the weather up there.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello John, use the Private Message feature.

Maybe we can get some more out!
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I wouldn’t mind meeting up with you if you don’t mind the bigger Morinis tagging along. Well once it’s back and fixed anyway.
Parky

Post by Parky »

Will someone please explain how to use the Private Message feature?
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello,

Click on my name (mickeymoto) highlighted in blue. This will take you to my profile. Click on Send Private Message, add a subject and write your letter. Click Send. It will appear in your Outbox. When I open it will disappear from Outbox.

Mike.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Tinker wrote: 04 May 2024 14:03 I wouldn’t mind meeting up with you if you don’t mind the bigger Morinis tagging along. Well once it’s back and fixed anyway.
The more the merrier, but first I need to be able to rude my bike. Hopefully I'll be getting my leg over shortly.

I see you are in Cumbria. I presume somewhere along the A69 would be good for you?