Scrambler versus sport

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
Tinker

Scrambler versus sport

Post by Tinker »

What are the main differences between the 1200 scrambler and the sport?
Thanks folks
MickeyMoto

Re: Scrambler versus sport

Post by MickeyMoto »

Wheels, brakes, er....
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

From the pictures they look very similar. Front wheel looks bigger and mudguard. Read somewhere brakes are sliding calliper(to be softer)? Gearing probably lower. State of tune?
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

I've had both, Scrambler first now Sport (which was for sale on here but I decided to keep it).

The main difference is riding position, the Scrambler seat is noticeably higher than the Sport and being a shorter gentleman I was on tiptoes with the scrambler. The bars on the scrambler are also slightly higher giving a slightly more comfortable ride at normal speeds. I've found both bikes to be the most comfortable I've owned.

Seat heights from the 2009 brochure:
Scrambler : 840mm
Sport : 800mm

Other differences as others have pointed out, the front wheel on the Scrambler is 19", the Sport 17" and the Scrambler has the 2 piston sliding callipers and the Sport has the 4 piston callipers same as the Corsaro.

The engines are in the same state of tune, again, from the brochure both run 17/40 sprockets, I would be surprised if the primary drive differed between the two.

Oh, and both have 'tubeless' wheels which loose air, solved by fitting inner tubes.

Hope this helps,
Robin
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Some Scramblers came with 17" wheels!
hombre

Post by hombre »

Is there also an 18" version of those Excel-wheels? I think it would make cornering far more easier than with the 19" I have now... Maybe also the tendency to exit curves when opening the throttle halfway might be less (oversteer?)