SpeedoHealer

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
nickst4

SpeedoHealer

Post by nickst4 »

Me again!

I mentioned before that the Previous Owner was mightily impressed by how quickly the bike hit very high indicated speeds. Doubtless on a closed circuit, of course! :roll:

I wondered if fitting new Avon Trail Riders might affect things due to perhaps having a longer circumference, so I fitted my trusty Tom-Tom satnav and punted the bike up to a steady GPS speed of 80mph, at which point the digital speedo said 87mph. At that rate, it would indicate 100mph at little over 90mph. This seemed very much like the situation I first encountered with the old tyres, so something needed to be done.

Fitting a HealTech SpeedoHealer was quite straightforward, once I'd established that the fitting kit was suitable for a Morini. HealTech are very helpful, and though they have little experience of the make, they pointed me in the right direction. As it turns out, the three cables coming from the rear-wheel sensor are colour-coded as per their Aprilia info. Those cables couple to entirely-different coloured cables in the loom, so it's a bit worrying! Anyway, I spliced the SH in and programmed it with a minus 7% correction factor as advised, fitting the tiny black box in the underseat tray. Now speedo and satnav tally very well, and the local helpful speed-checks in 30mph zones agree too.

The only downside to the installation is that the gear-indication in the speedo, which I quite like, has been confused, and it now shows 4th gear twice and stops at 5th. This isn't vital information anyway, so I'll go back to intermediate mileage. I daresay HT will be interested to hear about that, and they've asked for photos of the installation for reference.

An add-on to the SH is a button to recall one's top speed. Quite fun, but ideal for the local constabulary in the event of an accident I reckon! I don't need that information...

Nick
Last edited by nickst4 on 07 Sep 2020 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
MickeyMoto

Re: SpeedoHealer

Post by MickeyMoto »

I know I'll regret posting, but here goes.

My Scrambler reads 10% -1 mph over, roughly, as checked against my SatNav. So at indicated 76 is an actual 70. As long as I know I can do the mathematics. The odometer is about 3% out according to some longer trips I have done. All within tolerance. In fact, it restrains my right wrist!

The speedo unit also has a top speed indicator. Great fun and bragging rights in Germany when indicating 200km/h... unfortunately, it resets when going back to mph. Not sure what use this would be to plod, as they would need to prove time and place, so if you say no comment they have no evidence.