Brembo 'coffin' master cylinder caps

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
nickst4

Brembo 'coffin' master cylinder caps

Post by nickst4 »

These caps are made from a ?zinc alloy that seems to corrode very easily when the paint peels off. Has anyone found a source of supply of new ones, preferably CNC billet alloy ones anodised for protection, though that's a long shot? Possibly the same size M/Cs are used on other bikes? Stripping and polishing them isn't very satisfactory, and conventional paints would surely fall off again. I wonder if powder-coaters would even take them on?

Nick
nickst4

Re: Brembo 'coffin' master cylinder caps

Post by nickst4 »

I'm trialling Plastikote Industrial Hot Paint in matt black for these caps. It claims to produce a strong non-chip coating once it has had the essential heat cure. I gave them maybe three hours at gas mark 5 (well, it was 260degrees in an electric fan oven actually: no pong at all!) and the result looks so much nicer than the dreadful pealing-off original paint. :D It also gave me the opportunity to replace the darkening hydraulic fluid in the clutch system, and change the front brake fluid as well. The gunge under the lid in the brake m/c was pretty foul, so I reckon no-one had ever attended to it before.

Nick
nickst4

Re: Brembo 'coffin' master cylinder caps

Post by nickst4 »

A follow-up to my experiment with the Plastikote paint: I've now used it on twin brake calipers for my '76 Suzuki GT550 and it looks very good and has so far resisted minor hydraulic fluid leaks around the bleed valves with no sign of bubbling-up. Definitely a useful resource.

The Scrambler remains locked away, due to the filthy weather and roads around here. Scrambler it may be called, but I'm not going to get that awesome engine caked in mud! Roll on the Spring and Summer...