Brakes: what's that all about?

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
nickst4

Brakes: what's that all about?

Post by nickst4 »

Looking at the sundry spares available for the Scramblers, I found a curious item regarding the brakes. It appears that the first versions had conventional four-pot brembo front calipers, but the later ones had twin-pot sliding versions. The rear brake changed too. Of course, the pads are quite different.

Why do you suppose Morini did that? Might the sliding calipers be considered less fierce and more suitable for off-road use, rather than ultimate retarding from ballistic speeds? Presumably the Corsaro's persisted with the four-pots and probably changed to radial-mounts in due course?

Nick
MickeyMoto

Re: Brakes: what's that all about?

Post by MickeyMoto »

Not sure earlier ones had the 4 pot calipers. The 91/2 and 1200 Sport had the 4 pots. Didn't notice any brake issues until I rode the ZT with the radial brakes...
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Looking on ebay, the pads for the 2008-9 Scramblers are the ones fitted to the 2000 Ducati ST4, and the Cagiva Raptors of similar age, all of which have the four-pot Brembos current at the time. 2010 onwards, they are completely different.

I'm just pointing this out to alert those of us in the exclusive Morini Scrambler club who might need pads. I always fit GoldFren HH pads as the best compromise I've ever come across for extra bite without too much aggressiveness. Probably, the brake-pad topic is as contentious as oil and tyre choices seem to be!

Nick
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Ebay? I bought a pair for a K1 rear disc and they were for a Dart! I think all the four calipers are the same across the range, probably find the Gran Passo and Scrambler share the 2 pots. Excludes the later bikes with one finger, brick wall hitting brakes, which is probably why they have ABS!

The Corsacortes don't, in my experience, eat pads due to the engine braking.