Me again...

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
nickst4

Me again...

Post by nickst4 »

Just saying hi again to the Morinisti here!

I owned and sorted a pretty 350 Dart some while back but found the riding experience less than fulfilling because the performance was such that it needed to wound up more than I care for, and lower speeds and comfort were really not it's forte.

I'm hoping I've got those issues sorted now, because I've put a deposit on a 1200 Scrambler that's well-known in these parts. More details when the deal is finalised and I've got the bike in my hands, but it scratches the itch to own one of the new Morinis with that glorious motor, compared with which the older motors look like toys. Sacrilege, I'm sure you'll say! :shock: :D

Looking forward to chatting again here,

Nick, in Norfolk
morini_tom

Re: Me again...

Post by morini_tom »

Welcome back, Nick!

The 1200s as you know are fabulous bikes and if you approach it with the enthusiasm you Did your dart you’ll get along just fine.

Tom
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Cheers Tom. It's good to be back! :D

Getting the Scrambler has meant a bit of a sacrifice because I'm offloading no less than three other Italians to make a bit of space and also bring my Gilera Nordie in out of the cold. They are a Ducati ST3 and a Monster S4R, and that Marmite bike (which I adore), an Aprilia Moto 6.5 by Starck. My excellent mechanic/guru Carl Harrison in Norfolk will have them shortly, and I just hope they go to good homes. :cry:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Just come in from a ride on mine. The engine is brilliant. It should pull from under 2k revs and not stutter or hesitate. Not got the top end of the Corsaro, but the speedo does have trouble keeping up! Mine has 17" wheels ready for some nice touring rubber.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Hi Mickey,
I'm going to need fresh rubber soon so the present owner tells me. Are there any reasonable road-going options on the standard-size wheels? I have absolutely no intention to use the Scrambler off-road but would prefer not to change the wheel rims at this stage.
Thanks,
Nick
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Nick,

I believe a lot of the tyre manufacturers make road biased rubber for the adventure bike wheel sizes. Look at Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop and Avon for a start. Not sure if your spoked, tubeless rims will leak, though.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

I'm chuffed to see that Avon do tyres to fit, as I've long put my trust in them on various bikes. The way my Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 was transformed in its handling when I put their Storm ST tyres on it was astonishing, though the old worn Dunlops would have lost their qualities long before, of course. That semi-ADV bike had had the front rim reduced to 17" before I got it, so I've never ridden on a 19" front wheel before. I assume it rides over holes better than a 17"?

I'm wondering if the Avon TrailRiders would be a good ?80%-road-biassed fitment, with at least a nod to the style of the bike, or whether to head straight for the aforementioned Storm ST 100%-road-type, in 19" and 17". Anyone here have views on that? Presumably the cut-slick style of the Storms would ride more smoothly than the blocky TrailRiders, with their modest off-road capability.

Great to have a 'new' bike to conjure with, and I hope the reality is gratifying! :lol:

Nick
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I think KTM fit trailrider tyres to the 790 Adventure as standard