Scrambler rear wheel nut torque

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
MickeyMoto

Scrambler rear wheel nut torque

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello,

I have changed the rear tyre on my Scrambler. The wheel was a complete bugger to get back in again, and the rear wheel was reluctant to turn. The caliper does not mount like the Corsaro and does not appear to have any way to detach from the bracket. Lining up the disc to the pads was not easy. I have ridden the bike and it is better but there is a strange noise which I am hoping is the disc running and not the wheel bearings. Of course, the wheel Speedo sensor is now playing up, too. I did the wheel nut up to 100Nm as per the Corsaro, manual but was wondering if this was too tight. Anybody any ideas, please? The rear wheel fitting is typical of a modern bike. Do not breakdown at night and need to remove the wheel. I suppose tubeless tyres help, but the manual is unhelpful. Most things are 'return to dealer' to fix. Are we all becoming hopeless at simple maintenance tasks, or are the asshole (rich, and getting richer) lawyers taking over the world?
nickst4

Re: Scrambler rear wheel nut torque

Post by nickst4 »

Noted your difficulty with getting the rear wheel out and in. On my 2010 Scrambler, I find it is the easiest bike ever for doing this! The disc just slides out of the caliper/pads because of the positioning of the latter, ie rather forward and above the spindle, thus the direction of travel and gravity are both your friends. Compare that with the need to remove the caliper and/or pads on other bikes!

Part of the ease with which the wheel comes out is that there is some 2mm approx free play on my spindle once the nut is released. This means, of course, that the swingarm wheel-gap has to close up as the nut is tightened. I'm very sure that all the spacers went back on when I put the wheel in, and the bearings seemed fine but, in light of the swingarm breakage scare, I'm a bit nervous! I'd have expected closer tolerances than that.

Anyone else have views? Should I add a shim to reduce the play?

Nick
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Nick;

On the Granpasso (similar swing arm) there are spacers on both the sprocket and disc external surfaces, according to the user book...

Hope that helps,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Thanks Chris,

Yes, both the normal wheel-spindle spacers are present and correct. If they weren't, I suspect the whole wheel would have locked up and the bearings would be trashed because the spacers are way thicker than the clearance I'm asking about. If I do fit a shim, I'll need to assess which side would be best, as either the chain line or the brake caliper alignment will be shifted. I can check again now because the Scrambler is up on the Abba stand while I assess the fitment requirements of a digital speedo-healer from HealTech. The previous owner commented that he was amazed at how quickly he used to hit three-figure speeds. Having followed Dianne home as she drove the sat-navved Audi and we chatted via the intercom, I now know why! Good for boasting rights, of course, but not helpful within speed limits as following traffic curses me for going too slowly! :roll:

Nick
hombre

Post by hombre »

MickeyMoto wrote: 04 Jun 2019 15:09 Hello,

I have changed the rear tyre on my Scrambler.
but there is a strange noise
Hi Mike, how did this story end? I have a strange noise from the rear like something is dragging, when slowing down for the headlights with the clutchlever engaged, it seems less when still riding in 1st gear. I noticed that the chain is moving up and down quite fierce when the bike is on its centre stand with 1st gear engaged. It looks like the wheel-bearings are wearing out, well... they don't turn very easy when moving them by hand...
Any thoughts?
Ps I think the shim that is on the left on the outside has to be on the inside to avoid that big gap.