No power

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
gray3403

No power

Post by gray3403 »

I broke down a week ago with my scrambler with a flat battery and showing no charge.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is there another component faulty or is it likely the alternator has packed up.
When I charged the battery it started but when I put a meter on it there was no charge.
I don’t have any wiring diagram for it. I’m in Scotland so it’s a long way to take it to NLM.
Where can I get the software to diagnose the problem.
David Gray.
MickeyMoto

Re: No power

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi David,

When you say no charge, do you mean the voltage across the battery terminals does not increase with the engine running?

It could be the alternator, the regulator / rectifier or the battery itself. My car battery expired the other week after 10 years service. It just went flat. It took a charge, then went flat again. New battery restored the car to rude health.

Any decent bike shop should be able to diagnose the problem. You will need a multimeter if you want to do it yourself.

1. Voltage across battery engine not running.
2. Voltage across battery at tick over.
3. Voltage across battery as revs rise.

This would be first for me. Do you have another battery you can try?

Mike.
Ming

Post by Ming »

MickeyMoto wrote:...You will need a multimeter if you want to do it yourself.
1. Voltage across battery engine not running.
2. Voltage across battery at tick over.
3. Voltage across battery as revs rise.
As Mickey Moto says, buy / use a simple multimeter. 1. should be 12V(ish), 2. a bit more, 3. Voltage should rise to a max of about 14V.
If 1. is below 12V, the battery is either flat or U/S. If 3. goes above 14V, the regulator is probably U/S.
Have a look here: http://offgridham.com/wp-content/upload ... rs-usa.jpg
ShaunR

Post by ShaunR »

This happened to me on my 2017, Scrambler with a lithium battery. The battery was knackered. Replaced it with another non-lithium one and it has been fine ever since.
gray3403

Post by gray3403 »

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes I had tested it across the terminals, engine off, tick over and revving it. There was nothing.
I was going to take it to a chap who knows about electronics and the first thing he said was it was probably the regulator.
Someone else said it could be the battery. before I take it to him I'll try another battery just to check.
Thanks for the advice guys.
David.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I don't know about the Scrambler, but the wiring to the reg/rec on the 08 Corsaro I had melted. I caught it just before it would have shorted out.
The later 1200s have the reg/rec relocated to get more cooling but my money would be on that. If the battery charged up OK but the voltage doesn't pick up across the battery on running then to my mind it has to be the reg/rec or the alternator. As Ming implies, no owner of an Italian motorcycle should not be in possession of a multimeter!
gray3403

Post by gray3403 »

I would agree about the muti meter.
I'm hoping it will be the regulator. If it's the alternator it could be expensive.
Before I take it to my electronics guy I'll try changing the battery. It's worth a try.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

gray3403 wrote:Sorry for the late reply.
Yes I had tested it across the terminals, engine off, tick over and revving it. There was nothing.
I was going to take it to a chap who knows about electronics and the first thing he said was it was probably the regulator.
Someone else said it could be the battery. before I take it to him I'll try another battery just to check.
David.
When you say nothing, do you mean 0 volts even with engine off?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:
gray3403 wrote:Sorry for the late reply.
David.
When you say nothing, do you mean 0 volts even with engine off?
Ah - in that case the battery may well be fubar - but how did it manage to start it?