bike issues

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
miciouk

bike issues

Post by miciouk »

Hi, I have recently bought a Scrambler 1200. Having had the slipper clutch fitted the bike changed a lot. It's made a huge difference. A couple of days ago I got carried away and on a couple of occasions I went over the RPM limit. I believe the bike has its own cut off point to avoid damage however since then I am noticing a new noise. When decelerating there is a kind of rattling noise coming from the left side. Can work out what it is though. Also one of the drain tubes from the tank is melting away, and every time i go back to the garage there is constantly a smell of petrol and a shade of leakage from the pipe that is melting. Any help would be great
nicko

Re: bike issues

Post by nicko »

They do have rev limiters and can be quite aggressive when they kick in. This should protect the engine from excessive revs for short periods.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I had a situation on my Corsaro where the cable to the fuel pump inside the tank was leaking. The 'O' ring sealing the cable was crushed allowing fuel to seep out. I noticed this because the cable and connector to the fuel pump was deteriorating and the neoprene seals on the individual wire were perished. lift the rear end of the tank and check to make sure there are no leaks from the fuel pump base plate or the cable connector or the pipes to the injectors. Both have 'O'rings.

Good luck
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
miciouk

Post by miciouk »

Hello fellas I did not realise until today I actually have replies to my post as there is no confirmation email advising so (most forums have this feature) thanks both for your replies. I will let you know how I get on

Ciao

Frankie
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

If you look at the bottom of the page while you are viewing a topic, you should see a subscribe topic option, click on this and you will receive emails when the topic is updated.
To unsubscribe, click on the unsubscribe topic link in the same position at the bottom of the page.
You can also subscribe to sub forums in the same way.

Steve
miciouk

Post by miciouk »

Regarding the noise issue I have been told to open open open the cover where the generator is fitted (left hand side) to see if any wiring is loose inside it the problem is I dont have a replacement seal in case the one fitted splits. It is proving hard to find spares quickly as i though it'd be the case. NLM are doing what they can but if anyone else has other suggestions I'd listen

thanks
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

You can get the cover off if you are patient and carefull without damaging the seal . But it is difficult as the magnet of the flywheel is holding the cover back.
I don't expect you to find any thing there causing a rattle, apart from maybe the starter gear bearing. The wires are securely tightened with a sturdy clip and are short, the only thing that could hit them when loose is the round flywheel - this will not cause rattling noise. Place the bike leaning to the right, to avoid oil leakage when removing the cover, or like this.....
You can use threebond as an alternative to the sealing - won't bother ordering seals again (had to wait 9 weeks last year). The big left side carter is sealed with threebond anyway...

I would check your chain wheel, the waterpump (is on the right side but can make considerable noise/rattling) My new engine is now doing that, but is normal according to my german expert friends). Also check your license plate holder (this was causing a mysterious rattle in my case).
And use a tube (fuel hose or something) to locate the more exact location of the rattle.
miciouk

Post by miciouk »

Monstro Morini many thanks for your detailed reply. I will keep you posted on the outcome