Morini projects by an amputee

Show us your projects and restorations
Norton

Morini projects by an amputee

Post by Norton »

I have started this thread after interest in my KJ125 on another post...

First a bit about myself. I have had a 3 1/2 since I was 17 (30 now) as it was compliant with the licensing restrictions, though it spent more time off the road than on for various reasons. I got it roadworthy again in 2016. In between I have had various other bikes and rode to rallies around England and trips to Europe, I also took up green laning and rode a suzuki dr350 and a yamaha tenere 660 to go off roading in the alps. I then bought the KJ as a project early 2018 for a different experience off roading, ironically another better example popped up on ebay the week after (don't know if anyone on here has it). Unfortunately at the end of April '18 I was knocked off another bike and had my lower right leg amputated.

I am back riding again, had a ural combo for a while and now ride a honda rebel with a thumb brake. I also have a Moto Guzzi SP3 with a sidecar I am getting roadworthy.

I need to modify my Strada so I can change gear, as it is right foot gear change. I bought a linkage to swap the change to the left side but now I am thinking a kliktronic shifter might work better. Has anyone fitted one to a Morini?

Fortunately the KJ has a linkage to swap the gear change to the left side, so that is just a matter of sorting a braking system. I am not doing a concourse restoration but rather plan to set it up so I can hopefully go green laning and touring on it. To this end I have a 250H engine which will fit in the frame and am going to try and fit suzuki XT125 wheels and brakes.

I will try and get some photos uploaded of the bikes at some point.
Daddy Dom

Re: Morini projects by an amputee

Post by Daddy Dom »

Wow, you're fantastic!
A) photos!!
B) What on earth is kliktronic??
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Norton,

Have you been in touch with NABD? They fund conversions.

A friend of mine converted a Honda 400/4 to have both brake and gear on the one side.

Good luck with getting the bike converted.

You have just reduced the average age on here by twenty years. I wish I could get my son interested in Morinis!

Mike.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Second what Dom said, good on you Norton.

We had a member who sadly passed away about 5 years ago who had converted his strada to hand controls. I will try to find you some information.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh.. absolutely briljant!

I have a gear linkage system right to left from a Morini chopper (excalibur that is) and for square frame enduro.

If you ever need it, it's yours to have for free.

Cheers and good luck with the project (will let you know the sizes of the 250 Spindle this evening)

Tom Morini (not Morini Tom) :mrgreen:
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

HI Norton,

Best of luck with your projects, full respect , not sure I would have the confidence to do what you are doing!
I am sure as Mickey Moto says NABD can help, and the Morini Riders club makes an annual donation to NABD
and the NABD logo should be going on the membership cards. We usually get their magazine too -if interested we could forward it.

Some later 3 1/2 K models and later had the crossover shaft already in the frame -
as by then left side shift had become mandatory in many countries, is that what you have or is it earlier.

Cheers
Mark (not Morini Mark)
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I am sure you can sort something out. I have seen other riders using a Klicktronic device.
Years ago I had a mate the spit of Lee Marvin who had lost a leg. He used to tear about on a BSA Rocket Three with a hand change and no suppressor caps. He would demonstrate that the bare HT connections were OK in rain by throwing your beer over it. Never his though.
John
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Norton, you're obviously a determined and capable young bloke (30 IS young here!) so I'm sure you'll know if the kliktronic idea is a goer before we do.
Now that I've read up on your story so far I'd be glad if I can lend you a hand with either or both of your bikes. I'm only just North of Lutterworth in Leicestershire so reasonably close to you. I do have a bit of a pile of secondhand Morini parts as well, once again if they are of any use...
Even more impressive is your plan to do some green laning again-please join us! If you want to be added to the Green Lane section drop me an email to;
green-lane@morini-riders-club.com
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hi All,

Thank you for everyone's comments and offers of assistance/parts. I think that people can overcome most challenges thrown in there way if they have the determination and having a young daughter certainly pushed me to get as close back to normal as possible. I was riding again after 4 months (without a prosthetic), walking after 5 months and back at work after 7. The thing I am struggling with most is trying to get back into running, got up to 3 miles distance but keep having setbacks.

Mike - I contacted NABD and joined after my amputation. They were not able to offer advice for my Ural, as it had a rod activated rear drum, in the end a family friend fitted another lever under the clutch lever which used a cable to pull the bell crank linkage. Also, they only fund a certain number of projects a year because they are a charity. My claim has settled though so I have the money available, time and space are more the issue.

Dom - A kliktronic fitting is an electronic actuator that moves the gear lever up and down when you press a button on the handlebars. I have only ever seen it fitted to left sided gear change and usually on newer bikes. The main issue I can see is finding somewhere to mount it where it can reach the pedal. I think maybe using a rearset linkage might work, though rearsets might be an issue with the bend in my leg required.

Mark – My 3 ½ is 1974 so pre crossover (which was introduced for the American market I believe), the KJ is 1986 and has the crossover. As you say the shaft runs under the frame, which is why I am thinking the kliktronic may be the way to go as I don’t want to have to mess around with the frame and then have to modify the rear brake system as well. I am actually quite tempted by a K2 advertised on here which has the crossover but I don’t want to get rid of my strada.

Tom Morini – Thank you for the offer of the linkage system. I actually managed to get one off Rob at NLM the week before they shut, he was so shocked when I walked up the stairs as I’d been going in there since I first got my morini (miss him and the rest of NLM).

Tom & John – I have seen a few other bikes with hand controls which is another way to go, any pictures would be appreciated.

Steve – I will bear in mind the offer of help and parts, thank you. I am definitely interested in joining the green lane section but I imagine it will be some time before the bike and myself are ready.

Hopefully I have responded to everyone’s messages, thank you again. I am going to try and upload some pictures of the KJ when I got it below.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I messaged Ben on the club’s Warwickshire section WhatsApp group about the previous conversion on his strada, and he had tried to reply to your post on here but was having difficulties positing. I’m sure he’ll be along here soon however this is what he said:

“My grandad lost his left leg, so to counter that he switched the braking to the right hand side. Whilst you are switching the gears to the left you could still keep the rear brake on the left by doing what my grandad did.
He took the original brake lever, shortened it and turned it around so he brakes with his heel. I cannot remember what he had done to change the way the lever pulled as I never got on with it so I converted it back to normal. I'll see if I have a photo as it was”
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Norton wrote:Hi All,

A kliktronic fitting is an electronic actuator that moves the gear lever up and down when you press a button on the handlebars. I have only ever seen it fitted to left sided gear change and usually on newer bikes. The main issue I can see is finding somewhere to mount it where it can reach the pedal. I think maybe using a rearset linkage might work, though rearsets might be an issue with the bend in my leg required.

I took a look at the kliktronic website and I think it could be adapted to a right side change. If not under the frame on the right (where it's a bit vulnerable) then above the right footrest. If you take a look at the footrests for the 1976 model sports they have a semi rearset position and a short linkage. There is a handy pivot for this linkage on the right side footrest which may allow the actuator to be fitted above, as in the pics on their website. It would still be operating up or down and I can't see any reason why changing sides would be an issue for it? They say it works on Harleys and other agricultural gearboxes so a Morini should be easy enough too.

Steve – I will bear in mind the offer of help and parts, thank you. I am definitely interested in joining the green lane section but I imagine it will be some time before the bike and myself are ready.
Let me know anytine I can help. And the same for the green lane section-we may need a thirty something midlands based leader when I get even more unfit and aged. Run 3 miles??? Not sure I ever managed that..

Hopefully I have responded to everyone’s messages, thank you again. I am going to try and upload some pictures of the KJ when I got it below.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Very inspiring.
I ride (sometimes) with a guy that has a right arm that just hangs there. He rests it on the bars but thats all it does. He has conversions fitted to suit. Met him years ago and he had a sidecar. Now has a Piaggio MP3 also a 1200 Sportster. He got that because it could be fitted with a Rekluse type auto clutch. He is now thinking of selling it and getting a 390 KTM Adventure with a retro fitted auto clutch.
I admire him, and anyone else that has enough grit to continue after a setback like this. :)
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hi all,

Hopefully below should be some links to pics of the KJ when I first got it and started stripping it down. Shows the bodged silencer, cracked shock, spaghetti wiring, trying a extra large tank for size. I was hoping to be furlough in January to give me some time to do stuff but unfortunately not. The projects will be done piecemeal as and when my family let's me in the garage.

https://ibb.co/MDTBmRC
https://ibb.co/b380SXc
https://ibb.co/s5HJVP6
https://ibb.co/VVsPwF3
https://ibb.co/CWR5bP9
https://ibb.co/Vtf7bt5
https://ibb.co/M99D7K6
https://ibb.co/W2P1SqT
https://ibb.co/6tPb1Rc
Ming

Post by Ming »

The last two pics show a pretty nice little bike. Once you have sorted out the less pretty bits underneath it should be quite handy. You could sort out the spaghetti by converting to 12V and using a more modern regulator and a minimum of wiring (eg lights on with engine running, maybe?). Good luck with it.