Wet clutch conversion ?

Show us your projects and restorations
rossguzzi

Wet clutch conversion ?

Post by rossguzzi »

Is it possible ?

I know the dust ect would circulate in the motor. But, If one was to get a stainless steel filter like Scotts in place of the oil strainer we now have (350 500 etc) would that take care of dirt from the clutch ?

Is it at all possible to get oil in then out of the clutch area ?

Just some thoughts I have had whilst riding new clutch pack and basket with a grabby clutch.

Flame away :D
Ming

Re: Wet clutch conversion ?

Post by Ming »

Well, the 250 vee runs with a wet clutch and I think several members have found oil leaks from the clutch housing caused by leaking seals - without affecting the clutch - so it's probably possible. On the other hand - they were designed to run dry, if properly set-up they work fine and are also used on Ducatis...
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I did not know the 250`s were set up as wet. I just think it could be easier on the basket etc.
Yes Ducati`s run some dry ones, but they are not exactly trouble free.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Ross,

Wet clutch on a 500?
Hmmm, my 350 has always suffered clutch slip whenever one of the seals let go and turned it into a wet clutch, so I would expect this to be far worse on a 500 with its higher torque output, unless you plan on replacing the clutch springs with some that are far stronger.
This would in turn cause a far greater clutch lever effort being required, and is the arm at the engine end up to that? Hydraulic conversion may then be needed?

An added risk is that the studs/stud mounts in the clutch centre could break/pull out - not unheard of with the standard springs in the clutch.

The dry clutches can be made to work without snatching, but time and patience may be required.
Just my 2 cents worth,

George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Some very valid points there George.