Where are they?

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Coxey

Where are they?

Post by Coxey »

I was wondering if any one knows whats going on with this model and when we're likey to see one :?:

Also I can't wait to hear how they explain the name 9 1/2 whilst using an 11 1/2 motor :!: :D
richmaz

Post by richmaz »

Do you know what, mate? I was just wondering about the same thing...!!

Only thing is, I've just discovered the answer about the name / displacement anomally. They are indeed producing it with a sleeved down engine - 998cc (or 997 / 996!). Still doesn't quite justify the 9 1/2 name, but perhaps close enough. Sorry, but anorac strikes again :!: :lol: :lol:
Richard M
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

How recent is your info on it being a sleeved down motor? My original info from the show was a shorter stroke if I remember correctly, prior to them relenting and going for the 1200.
richmaz

Post by richmaz »

Thanks for that, Dave :oops: I've just checked on the MM web site and you are quite right! Not sure now where I got the info from - may have been a bike mag Corsaro launch test or just on the net.
Richard M
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

HeHe! :D :D
Anyway.... Dave, when do you think we'll see some real bikes :?:
Oh, and it's OK - Rich is not really a country bumkin... honest :!:

Rob

Post by Brubru »

That's pure marketing bullshit. They have decided of the name in function of the engine before knowing what the engine would be. And it had to be "Something 1/2" to remind the strong connection with the long and glorious history of Moto Morini, and especially the iconic 3 1/2... But don't ever ask them for a spare part for a 3 1/2, you will soon understand what they mean with "strong connection".

Could be added to the possible answers to the Corsaro poll: Would you buy a new Morini? No, because their selling arguments are marketing bullshit.

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
richmaz

Post by richmaz »

Blimey Bruno, it certainly sounds like you are really not very impressed with the new Morini set-up :evil: I say good luck to them - takes a lot of balls to develop your own low volume bike with unique engine in a market awash with comparable, high quality, fully developed bikes and support network. I know that Triumph er triumphed, but they had a fabulously weathy owner and a global brand name / image Morini really cannot hope to match. Perhaps Voxan is a better comparison, and look how they're doing. Would I own one despite potential reliability concerns / long term viability? Well it is the kind of bike that would suit my riding requirements, so if I had £7000 or so spare and had the choice between that and the competition (Ducati GT, Guzzi Breva perhaps, Jap alternatives) I'd still have to choose.......the Morini :P :P

Anyway, I quite agree with you and Rob C - 9 1/2 is a ridiculous title given the actual capacity - Corsaro for the sports version sounds great so why not another name instead :?:
Richard M
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Well rich, it was not about the bike or what it takes to start such an adventure. It was about the way things are put on the market today, and the general lack of honesty behind it. Trying to link a product with something else (Coca-Cola and sea, sex and sun, cars and beautiful girls) is common but always irritates me.

Of course the new Morini is closer to the old one (same family, Lambertini) than Triumph where the link is only the money they had to buy a brand name, but still I have much more respect for Voxan who never tried to make us believe they were producing the new Terrot, Gnome et Rhône or Koeller-Escoffier. And you would be right to tell me that the Voxan way is not the route to success...

Now about the bike in itself, well, it really looks nice (nicer than the Corsaro) and it is technically promising. But for my personal preference, I would prefer a lighter bike, with a smaller engine, and a decent passenger seat.

If I had £7000 to spend, I would consider it, but maybe I would go for a Suzuki SV650 and a second-hand oldie.
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Brubru wrote:Of course the new Morini is closer to the old one (same family, Lambertini) than Triumph where the link is only the money they had to buy a brand name, but still I have much more respect for Voxan who never tried to make us believe they were producing the new Terrot, Gnome et Rhône or Koeller-Escoffier. And you would be right to tell me that the Voxan way is not the route to success...
Sorry to pick up on this ancient post.
If I had realised that the Corsaro would actually happen as quickly as it did I might have waited and not acquired my Voxan Roadster.

As it happens, I am not entirely convinced that I made the wrong decision.

I think Voxan have suffered from the "give a dog a bad name" syndrome and from sticking to the 100 BHP limit even for exports (until now it seems :D ).

When I can get a minute I intend to visit QB and hav a good look at a 91/2 and naturally a test ride. Otherwise, if I do get something else it would be a Voxan Street Scrambler with go-faster kit. Mind you I suppose there is always the Buell 1150 V72 to consider.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Welcome to the Forum Pete!

I am hoping to ride a 9.5 later today (4th September) so it will be interesting to compare notes next time we meet. It will, I am sure, be quiet a contrast to the Voxan!

I am expecting less of a diference between it and the Corsao - but it would be good to be surprised. BTW, Tony is looking to swap the CBR 600, and a single cylinder KTM doesn't cut it (sorry, Aide), with the 990 Super Duke more like it... Will we ever keep up with him on the Island? He rode the Morini to and from Mallory and enjoyed both the riding position and the power.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Well - I rode the 91/2 yesterday and what a great bike! Lovely engine, muted bark and so easy to through around the corners. Mind, I was comparing it to a GT1000 which a friend also wanted to ride. What a difference 20 years in design can make; the Ducati engine felt reluctant to rev, and rough by comparison, especially from low revs...

This bike should appeal to many Morini riders - it has a similar character but is now bang up to date.

The only problem? It wasn't starting (engine span up to 2k revs and settled back to a steady tick over at 1500 after a few seconds), weight or comfort, nor even a slight buffeting at over the legal limit (despite a fitted screen). No - it was having ridden down on the Corsaro, and then having a short ride on a Veloce after I got back to the dealers. Spoilt for choice, but then the Corsaro has the edge for me!

More info will be in the clubs magazine - ATG - in due course..

:D CC