Sport now in production

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
corsaro chris

Sport now in production

Post by corsaro chris »

According to 3X the Sport is now in production. The Italian version of the MM web site has initial details for those interested - a brief report appeared in MCN a few weeks back...

Narrow bars, low seat - now wheres my cheque book?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

3X now have two sport models in the showroom!

One is in the 'lotus' green and yellow, with a white frame and the other in white with a red/blue stripe and black frame.

The sport is essentially a 2008 9 1/2 with the addition a cockpit fairing, double upswept exhausts, a straighter handle bar and a rear seat cover.

Notably: The 'Sport' also has reto-style MM tank badges.

They are stunning 'in the metal' and retail at £7999.

The bike has a 'natural' riding position and I reckon would fit all sizes:
Having both a lower seat height than the Corsaro range and should have a broader appeal.

Worth serious consideration...

Regards
Stephen R
normv95

Post by normv95 »

I'd like to see Morini release a real retro model in line with the legendary 70's sports models. Clip ons - duck tail - spoke wheels etc. It seemed to work quite well with Ducati and models like the Paul Smart and 1000 Sport.
i think it would be a real hit, anyone else think so ?
Norm.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Norm,
Nice idea and I reckon the bike could look great -But I doubt they would sell enough units to make it viable.

I understand that Ducati's 'Sport Classic' range hasn't been a great success; largely because most potential buyers are of an age that is incompatible with the riding position!

Maybe a retro 'Strada' would be better?

Regards
Stephen
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Interesting thread here... :)

I would suggest that the 9.5 is the retro Strada, and the Sport is the Sport (if you get my drift). So maybe what they should be doing is producing the new Sport with a shiny black frame, red tank and black inserts to reproduce the old 1970s paint job.

They already have the tank badges... :wink:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
normv95

Post by normv95 »

I was thinking even more retro. I think the scrambler is on the right track, if you're into that sort of thing. But Morini was legendary for its classic sports models. I appreciate it wouldn't be a huge seller, perhaps even a limited edition?
I was under the impression the Ducati classic range were a huge success - I see lots of them around. Although i'm not a big Ducati fan, I think they do look good and could be tempted.... especially for the price, just having the 70's classic look without the greif and poor performance of actually owning one!
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

normv95 wrote:I'd like to see Morini release a real retro model in line with the legendary 70's sports models. Clip ons - duck tail - spoke wheels etc. It seemed to work quite well with Ducati and models like the Paul Smart and 1000 Sport.
i think it would be a real hit, anyone else think so ?
Norm.
I thought it had spoked wheels

David
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Dave,
It does...and a single, chromed headlight too.
They stopped short of fitting vintage CEV switch gear, Avon 'Road Runners' and a kick start!

Maybe these bikes are retro enough? - Ducati have the advantage of being able to fit an air-cooled motor to their retro.

Morini are always going to have to compromise the styling with a radiator and 'plumbing'.

It's still great to see these bikes.

Wonder how the MM scrambler will handle in the wet with those 'knobblies'?!
Triumph's Scrambler has much less power....

Regards
Stephen R
Emmohaswheelsagain

1200 Sport

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Looking at the picture of the white, red/blue sport on MCN web site this model may turn a few heads. With the double upswept exhaust and the cockpit fairing and rear seat cover this isn't retro. I would have preferred to see twin headlamps and alloys to finish the look. How many of the parts can be used on the standard 9 1/2. The exhaust looks a big improvement on the standard 9 1/2 system and probably sounds better to.
Does any body know?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Saw the Sport at the M/C weekend at Beaulieu - it sounds really great. Early Lambertini V twin Morini colours were Blue and White and so that colour scheme is retro for those "in the know" :wink:

It works a lot better in the flesh. The tank feels a little wide (compared to the Corsaro) but the bars and footpegs give a good riding position - less upright and exposed than the 9.5. It could be a better bike to ride than the 9.5 for that reason - definately worth trying if you're in the market for this type of bike :)

If I could work out how to post a picture, I would :?

CC
Here you go Chris - Webmaestro
Image[/img]
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

normv95 wrote: I was under the impression the Ducati classic range were a huge success - I see lots of them around
Hi Norm,
May be it's a regional thing? I do have a friend with the '1000 Sport' version: the red one with the fairing and he adores it.
I know from 3X are not doing too well with them - the orange cafe racer models sell OK second hand and my local dealer (Moto-Rapido) finds them slow sellers too.
The riding position tends to polarise opinion -But I think they are great looking bikes.
The 'GT1000' gets a lot of interest, but not the buyers and there is a feeling that the bikes are overpriced.

MM probably couldn't offer such a machine at the right price.

Still: Happy to be proved wrong if they look as good as the 'sport'.

Chris: was good to meet you at Beaulieu and your enthusiasm for the
'Sport' lifted my spirits at the point when I was becoming tired:
I am now 'in the know' about the colour scheme -Not sure that I can explain the rationale behind green/yellow version....

Regards
Stephen R
mikebn

Re: Sport now in production

Post by mikebn »

Hi on my recent visit to the Milan factory showroom speaking to the guys there they did indicate they have plans to produce a 1970's style bike using the current 1187cc motor
Hi i own a 1976 morini 3 1/2 sport wire wheels disc brake front,
MonstroMorini

Re: Sport now in production

Post by MonstroMorini »