10th Anniversary

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Emmohaswheelsagain

10th Anniversary

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

A recent visit for the annual MOT reminded me that it is 10 years since the CorsaCorta engines arrived in the UK.
This led me to reflect on the 8 years of ownership to see what 15,000 miles has cost me in spares/repairs/insurance.
Fully comp insurance comes in around £115.00 pa, yearly oil change with filter is not cheap using 10/60.
Back tyres, currently on the fifth but one was prematurely finished by a large nail. Front tyres only two but a third will be due soon through uneven wear.
Chain is still the original and shows no sign of needing replacing soon.
Usual intervals for plugs,brake fluids & pads along with one change of coolant.
Batteries, well currently on the third however the bike did spend nearly two years as a demo and only covered 800 miles in that time.
Battery does need looking after particularly if the bike is to stand for long periods.
Bike has been 100 % reliable, condition is good despite being ridden 12 months of the year. Admittedly I can chose when to ride and avoid the salt where possible.
Value, well purchased at generous discount so depreciation has been modest. Prices have yet to settle but most owners of these modern morinis are keepers for the long term.
Do I still enjoy the bike, well of course I do, its a Morini in the true tradition of Franco Lambertini.
Go sample one.
72degrees

Re: 10th Anniversary

Post by 72degrees »

I did.

Immensely impressive in some areas (power characteristics and handling) less so in others (you guessed it - electrical components).

If I was 10 years younger and longer in the leg I would have kept it.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've spent many happy riding hours in the company of your bike Paul: France, the Netherlands, lots of runs round the Lincolnshire Wolds... Keep on enjoying it!
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Had my Corsaro for three years.

Over 12,000 miles in that time. (19k kms)

Oil and filter changes were about £70 for oil and filter diy. Motul oil. Once a year.
Changed coolant which helped running temp.
Battery was original. Probably needed replacing.
Basic servicing easy.
Relays behind headlight failed as not sealed, swapped for £5 items.
Chain and sprockets needed changing.
Oil cooler banjo washers were changed for copper when one blew due to salt damage.
Brake and clutch lever adjusters seized due to salt.
Replaced rear pads. Fronts still good. Engine braking!
Two rears and one front tyre.
Dash repaired when micro switch failed.
Speedo sensor failed. Cracked insulation and water ingress.
Clutch switch failed. Replaced.
Paint on engine peeling off.

Did not do shims or can chains.

Basically reliable. Only had RAC out once when banjo washer blew but just needed a spanner to remove and clean up, so not recovered.

Conclusion. Keep away from salt, regular maintenance, easily fixed electrical gremlins. Good quality cycle parts. Stonking engine. Great handling.

Cheap to buy and run.

PS as it is topical salt damage caused riding back 180 miles from Edinburgh show in snow and ice..... having shown my bike on the MRC stand... Ride em and enjoy em!
mort9555

Post by mort9555 »

A little more long term info......from a GP owner.

Bought new in 2009 from NLM.
New Speedo head and ECU on warranty in 2009, headlight bracket mod by NLM (grinder)
Run tubes in both tyres from 2012
Chain and sprockets at 22k miles
Serviced after warranty by myself
Oil (Motul 4T 10/60), filter (oil screen clean also), plugs changed every 6k miles, never had to add engine oil between services
Fork oil changed every 12k miles
Rear wheel bearings changed at 14k miles
Twin Fiamm horns fitted
Clutch and brake fluid changed every 15k miles
Run BT023 tyres, 12k miles from fronts (approx), 5k miles from rears
Coolant changed every 15k miles
LED indicators fitted, LED driving light fitted
Speedo sensor changed (fractured case+water)
Mechanically 100% reliable
Fitted VF750F alloy footrest hangers in 2014 to move front footrests up 3 inches and back slightly (lighter, better looking and fit exactly). Save a small fortune on boots.
Cold idle valve issues in cooler weather, not a show stopper but irritating
repainted rear of engine to replace paint peeling near rear head/upper rear engine mounting location
One fan problem recently, rewired to cure
Air filter changed at 12k mile, not needed since
Currently at 35k miles, Still on original camchains, all brake pads (50% worn...what engine braking!!?) & battery. Two shims just changed, the first time this has been required. The top end engine internals still look like new.
Ohlins rear damper being rebuilt/serviced now
Exhaust can baffle being rewelded now as broke free inside can some years ago
Plastic tank cover starting to split as seems to be shrinking over time
32 - 40 mpg 'realworld' fuel consumption