New 2007 91/2

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Bondo

New 2007 91/2

Post by Bondo »

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum, have found a new 2007 91/2 that is selling at a good price.

Would anyone let me know what I should know about this bike as far as upgrades that should have been done, and/or suggestions for anything I should negotiate on a bike this old.

Thanks,
Bondo
Emmohaswheelsagain

Re: New 2007 91/2

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Bondo,
Where have you managed to find a new 9 1/2 in stock? The factory only had two in stock last October and no plans to produce anymore.
In answer to your question you should ensure that the upgrades are done as part of the price. The parts are supplied FOC by the factory and it should take the dealer no more than a morning to fit. You should have a warrenty if purchased in the uk of three years from the date of registration so the dealer can claim for the work in the normal way.
If the dealer wants to sell without obligation to you or the bike then reconsider your options. In those circumstances finding a foster home for your bike can be difficult particularly when you have taken your business else where. If you are serious about owning a Morini then join the riders club and get out and meet the members. You will find them helpful and friendly and at all times willing to give advice on any issues you may have with your new 9 1/2.

Safe Riding

Paul
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi Bondo,
welcome to the forum.
They are great bikes, you wont be disappointed.
A Paul said, check for the updates on the bike, though i dont know if they were ever done on mine, ah well :twisted:
If you go it get some pics up.

Mark
9 1/2: by no means a lesser Corsaro
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

Paul and Mark,
thanks for the replies. I am definitely doing it, picking it up next week. I am not in the UK so information is sparse. If either of you is able to tell me how many and specifically what upgrades have been released by MM since 2007, I'd be very grateful. I can then ensure they are done before paying out.

Three year Warranty is 'guaranteed', but with the tenuous position the factory is in right now, I'm under no illusions about the reality of such a guarantee. I don't care, have always wanted a 9 1/2, but I think the best chance I have of reliability, if the company goes under for a while, is to at least have these upgrades done.

Bondo
Emmohaswheelsagain

Hi Bondo,
All I can do is quote you from the list with 3x Motorcycles provided me when I enquired about the upgrades. I must say my bike which was registered in Sept 2006 as a demo in the UK. I had only some of these upgrades and there were items replaced which weren't even on the list. My view and that of the dealer if new parts were sent (hugger, chain guard & clocks)it would be foolish not to repace them. Thats what we did but i'msure the old parts weren't any different from the new. Your list:
Clutch updating - Engine numbers prior to FMV912*001384
Left Hand Engine Bush - Frame numbers prior to ZLM02010100002307
Flywheel casing - oil leak - check - I believe this may have been an issue with some Corsaro/Veloce.
Shock absorber fixing screws - Frame numbers prior to ZLM02010100002313
Voltage regulator update - " " " " ZLM02010100002367
Transmission chain noise, Throttle twistgrip screws, Frame sticker protector, Clutch master cylinder oil level all ZLM02010100002367. It sounds bad but Morini are thorougher if nothing else and the customer comes first, thats probably why they are struggling with cash flow issues at present. I must say I've had the bike two years and found it to be safe, reliable and above all Morini. Have a look at www.usedbikeguide.co.uk I hope this helps. Paul
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

Hi Paul,
thanks for all that, it's exactly what I needed. Will post here when I have the bike home. No doubt there'll be lots of questions.

Bondo
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

Hi Paul,
another question. Do you still have the original ECU, or have you had upgrades/changes to the original.

Thanks,
Bondo
Emmohaswheelsagain

Hi Bondo,

In answer to your question yes.
I believe the 9 1/2's didn't require a replacement ECU, certainly not mine. This update was restricted to Corsaro's & Veloce with frame no prior to ZLM01010100003730. I believe the Corsaro's and Veloce had 27 checks or upgrades as apposed to the 9 1/2 nine.
I do recall the motor running rough around 1000 miles but this quickly resolved itself with the motor run in.
I would tend to trust your own judgement, ride the bike, put some miles in. Most problems can be just down to lack of use or in some cases listening too much to other owners! This is a riders club and Morini's run best when they are used so get out there this summer and enjoy what is a very good bike, not perfect but then thats where you can put your own mark on it by making some small improvements :D

Safe Riding
Paul
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

Hello All,
I have my 91/2 home, have only done a few hundred miles, but all is going well. Its a 2007 model, some mods done, the rest to be at the first service. The bike runs beautifully, the engine likes to be above 3500 revs with any kind of load, in fact makes a sound like a very soft knocking when below that with the throttle open. Gear box is smoother than I was expecting after reading all the info about them, I must be still living in the eighties as that was the last time I owned a bike.
Thanks for everyone who posted and answered my questions. Look forward to chatting as questions arise
hombre

Post by hombre »

I had some updates too:
- New display
- New retainer for the coolant, the original one can suck air in (also on corsaro's)
- Bolts that hold the rear schock, originals have thread all the way which causes play
If more jumps to mind I'll post them here...

In the meantime you'll probably fall in love with your 9 1/2 :mrgreen:
Emmohaswheelsagain

Hi Bondo,

Three months on how life with the 9 1/2.
I've been busy buying Morini pannier, tank cover and tank bag ready for another trip across the water next year.
Second MOT due next month, doesn't time fly when your enjoying yourself :D

Safe Riding

Paul
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

Hi Paul,
I haven't done as many miles as I would have liked, its a wet winter here in NZ, but the bike has run flawlessly. I haven't been in the rain at all so haven't provoked any electrical quirks. I'm on country roads a lot, not much city time, so I find I like the idea mooted on the Cosaro forum to lower the gearing a little by changing the rear sprocket as I'm rarely in sixth gear and also have some low speed gravel roads to negotiate. However, I'm also loathe to srat fiddling with the factory settings.The 1500 mile check comes up soon and I'm thinking at that time I'll get them to strengthen the water hose join that has come loose for other riders.

I'd been away from bikes for 20 years , last a 75 Bonneville so I had to get back into it gently at my age. I was advised to get a 600-700cc bike at first, but I knew I'd be bored with it fairly quickly so took the plunge and got what I wanted first up.I've found it very easy to ride, got used to it quickly and I'm constantly watching the speed to stay legal. I think I may have been running too higher gears and now I tend to stay at higher revs in lower gears which I find makes it easier to keep a constant speed.

I've seen some discussion about tires here,some thought that the Pirellis aren't the best choice. You must have done a renewal there, any thoughts? Overall though, I love the bike, no regrets at all even though there are lots of alternatives which might be safer in terms of the company solvency and dealer support, but both the importer and the dealership [primarily Suzuki]that maintains my bike have been very good so far.

Bondo
Emmohaswheelsagain

Hi Bondo,

Having had 5 Morini's I can say with some experience that staying true to the standard set up is always best. If the bike is running well and everything is fine, keep with it. Mine is about to have its second MOT (4 years old) and it is running great. Like you I ride out in the countryside with little town or city work. I have always found the softer engines (non sports) Morini's best and the 9 1/2 engine is similar the Scrambler and Grand Passo in power delivery so you should be fine.
Regarding tyres that can be a matter of choice, my only complaint is how long (or don't) the standard tyres last.

Safe Riding

Paul
twisty

Post by twisty »

hombre

"new retainer for coolant"

I take it that is the screwed radiator filler cap?
Emmohaswheelsagain

Hi Bondo,

With you being the other side of the world you must be coming out of winter instead of moving into it like us.
The first winter chill is one to us here so what happening down under. Is that 9 1/2 of yours ready the summer. I'm just back from our season ending show at Stafford. Plenty of Morini appreciation shown as always particularly for the little 350's. Took the 9 1/2 this time just to show the general public that Morini can make big bikes as well as small. Looking to keep the bike ticking over this winter every two weeks or so before preparing the bike for next years. I now have all the extras including soft luggage, rack, screen, tank cover so no excuse to get out and ride. I would recommend the extras, all good quality and worth it in the long run.

Safe Riding

Paul