Memories

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
72degrees

Memories

Post by 72degrees »

Might amuse the 1200 types (yes I used to have a 1200 Corsaro so know whereof I speak). Something I clipped from a digitised 'GeN'.

What would the MCI tester made of a a corsa corta bialbero 1200 Morini ? ;)
Gem2.jpg
Gem2.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 7835 times
nickst4

Re: Memories

Post by nickst4 »

He's right, of course! Not that I'd suggest a BSA Bantam was as much fun as you could get on two wheels, but I think there is a variable sweet-spot in bike power that relates to power. My beloved Cagiva Gran Canyon has a quoted 65bhp from its soft-tuned 900 Ducati lump but it's a joy to ride. I have 1000cc and 650cc Cagiva Raptors, and the fun factor is greater on the small bike, not least because of a zippy engine that doesn't necessarily push one to ridiculous speeds. Even the Scrambler 1200 is arguably blighted by too much power, but I can put up with that on the odd occasion! :D

Nick
Ming

Post by Ming »

nickst4 wrote:He's right, of course! Not that I'd suggest a BSA Bantam was as much fun as you could get on two wheelsNick
But if you consider a BSA Bantam's chassis, suspension and brakes coupled to the handful (max) of Horses available, it becomes a whole new experience! :shock:
Not to forget:
Harvey Williams.jpeg
Harvey Williams.jpeg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 7794 times
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Ming wrote:
nickst4 wrote:He's right, of course! Not that I'd suggest a BSA Bantam was as much fun as you could get on two wheelsNick
But if you consider a BSA Bantam's chassis, suspension and brakes coupled to the handful (max) of Horses available, it becomes a whole new experience! :shock:
Not to forget:
Harvey Williams.jpeg
Absolutely! Maintenance of momentum would be the name of the game with a Bantam, and that takes skill. And skill executed to perfection equals Fun! :D
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Twice the fun at half the speed ;)

Glad I experienced the awesomeness that is a 1200 Morini though. Should be available on prescription from the NHS.

Apart from the faithful 2C/375 (undergoing a light sprucing up) and the Husky 401, my favourite fun ride is the 57 Gilera 175. 100Kgs and 10HP with Italian handling. I dare say its Morini peers from the same era are just as fun.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to my first ride on the 'new' to me bike. Another '250', but this time a 1937 Sunbeam Model 14 Sports. Power should be a little morethan the 175, but it is a lot heavier, so progress will be 'stately'. Which, with rigid frame, girder forks and only 'tobacco tin' brakes, is probably just as well. Four speed foot change luxury though so I won't have to juggle a hand change.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

72degrees wrote:.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to my first ride on the 'new' to me bike. Another '250', but this time a 1937 Sunbeam Model 14 Sports. Power should be a little morethan the 175, but it is a lot heavier, so progress will be 'stately'. Which, with rigid frame, girder forks and only 'tobacco tin' brakes, is probably just as well. Four speed foot change luxury though so I won't have to juggle a hand change.
I've subscribed to The Classic Motorcycle forever and admired most of the seriously-old bikes therein, but apart from a '36 BSA Blue Star restoration I took on before I realised that what I actually wanted was a bike to ride (a Guzzi V50 that got me back on two wheels once the Blue Star had been moved on), my steeds are all relatively recent. If you can call the oldest, a '75 Suzuki GT550 recent. I just wish there was a bike-sized gap in the garage for a vintage machine that someone has already restored. They aren't cheap though...

Nick
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

This one is definitely going to get ridden. Once I have sorted out the carb, dynamo, speedo drive and possibly fubar kickstart quadrant.
Completely cosmetically restored, but with a lot of pattern but authentic looking parts including new rims, so not sought after by the 'collectors'. The engine is as it should be though.
Very shiny. The real money goes on 'patina'.
Cheaper than many early Morini 350 Sports by quite a way ;)