Corsaro starting issue

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
matt_bott

Corsaro starting issue

Post by matt_bott »

Hi All,

I have recently acquired an 06 Corsaro basically for free!! Free because the owner said there were electrical issues.

So I got it home and sure enough on turning the key there was lots of clicking and the dash flickers on and off. Then it all went off and nothing worked!! Fuses were all good and I had a diagnostics code saying can bus error - this I believe is ECU! First job was new battery and that’s solved almost everything!! No errors now - everything looks fine and I can hear fuel pump priming. The starter motor engages on the button as it should but only engages for a couple of seconds before I hear a click and it stops!

It will then try again by hitting the button again but the issue repeats - what could this be?

I was thinking starter relay? Where is that hidden on the bike?

Could it be the ECU needs reflashing?

All advice welcome!

Matt
Last edited by matt_bott on 20 Feb 2020 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
norbert

Re: Corsaro starting issue

Post by norbert »

I don´t hav a minimum idea of that bikes, but a couple of friends who do have them. To me it seem´s that 70% of the problems have to do with relays :lol: You´ll find them under the seat (don´t know, if all of them).

There is also some trouble of the cables around the steering area.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Starter relay is behind the radiator on the left hand side.

This sits on two rubber buffers and contains the starter motor relay, a Green 30A fuse (+ spare) as well as a 4 pin plug which runs back to the E.C.U. Without power here the E.C.U. cannot switch on the various functions it controls (including lights, engine, etc.) and so everything is dead.

Cleaning the contacts of the fuse and the 4 pin plug may well sort you.

I urge owners to examine this item with care. The fuses sit in little transparent boxes which can fill with water. Mine (which I bought new) has had had a small hole crudely cut in it to allow water to drain away so the factory must have been aware of this problem.

Only this very afternoon I popped the transparent covers off mine after having washed the bike and made sure the water was fully dispersed.
matt_bott

Post by matt_bott »

Great advice - thanks all

Because its a consistant and repeatable issue with most things working a simple bad connection could be the issue. Ill clean up the connections - and see how we get on!

Best source for replacements if i needed??
matt_bott

Post by matt_bott »

Winner winner - bike is running nicely - only ridden a couple of hundred meters but first impression - wow it’s aggressive - I ride an RC 8 superbike the rest of the time but this feels harsher!!

Bike will now get a good clean - an MOT and maybe we will can enjoy the end of the summer!!
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Matt;

Another Corsaro owner - where are you based? The UK Club has a number of meeting places, and two of them regularly host a number of Corsaro, south of Alton in Hampshire and in Warwickshire near Stratford on Avon. If either of these are 'local' to you, why not drop in and meet / greet / talk to other riders of these bikes?

As for aggressive - it's all in the right hand; they'll tootle along nicely or go like stink - it's up to you!!!

Let us know how you get on, even post a picture on the Forum... and good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
matt_bott

Post by matt_bott »

Im based in East Sussex - bike needs a good clean up but then Ill be happy to show it off.

When i say aggressive - its not an issue. I have a KTM RC8 which also pulls hard but the delivery is a bit different to the Corsaro -They make good stable mates