ZZ Heavily criticized in Performance Bikes

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
72degrees

Re: ZZ Heavily criticized in Performance Bikes

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:
Ming wrote:
72degrees wrote:...Development costs for a radically different modern Morini (I'm still waiting for the 60bhp, 160Kg, 600 single with a <800mm seat height) are just too much for such a niche market company...
Styled like an Excalibur?
Hmm, an Excalibur with 140bhp!

Mr 72degrees, I agree the engine development costs are too big for Morini, but why not use an existing engine from, say, KTM? 125, 390, 700 singles with Morini frames? 790 twin? How about a 765 triple? Paton have used a commuter engine! :)
Well yes. If I could afford a Paton and still survive the crouch riding position for long I might consider one (though I now realise I'm not that keen on the 180 degree cranked ER6 unit).

Having said that, for me, the engine is the 'heart' of a bike and badge engineering doesn't float my boat. I wouldn't have been in the rush to buy the once promised Gilera Nuovo Quattro with a Suzuki engine (as well as not liking fours). It would have to be spectacular in every other way and the motor possibly breathed on a bit by Lambertini to get my wallet open. I know some who rave about the Suzuki engine Cagivas though so who knows?

OK. Build a Morini 550 V twin with an Aprilia SXV unit detuned from the 70bhp and reconfigured to survive normal road use for a decent mileage and with service in terms of 1000s of miles not a few hours. I'll settle for 50bhp if it can be kept < 150 Kgs (SXV only 100!). Seat height about the same has the old Ducati Monster not the Wuthering Heights Aprilia's 915mm!, or the new 400 Scrambler (though that is a bit on the heavy side). Realistically though, any mid range capacity bike is going to be aimed at A2 compliance these days so my Morini 550 'Pipe Dream' will stay just that.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi all

I agree that a joint venture with another European manufacturer or perhaps a real retro bike with an Enfield twin engine, could result in a very nice mid-capacity bike? Perhaps KTM would be perfect too with their impressive single & twin cylinder bikes? If they had a joint marketing & distribution deal with such companies, that would really change the landscape for MM.....

Yes, I've put my cash down for a white & orange (some say red?) ZZ. I've bought it via Ben, but NLM have kindly said they'll look after it for me. As they're ten miles up the road, that really clinched it for me. I'm blown away with the riding experience & just hope it'll serve as well as my lovely '06 Corsaro has? One of the notable things about my test ride, was that I could get a foot flat on the ground! This took me aback as I'm normally on tiptoe on mine? I enquired why & Ben informed me that the new suspension offers a ride height adjuster. As I'm a busily shrinking 54 year old, this future proofed the purchase for me.

It's only my second new bike, so it's something that means a lot to me. Morini's were a distant dream to me as a child, so to be able to buy a new one today is a somewhat of a dream. The club has certainly helped me revisit that childhood passion & I hope to enjoy a bit more time amongst you all in the coming years. Ride safe folks & enjoy those beautiful bikes!
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

KTM already have alternative bikes with their engines in, Husqvarna Viltpilen and Svartpilen, they look like an interesting 350 replacement, with the big brother we have all been clamouring for.
Have to say I don't disagree overly with the journo's conclusion. If I'm paying a lot of money I don't really want to see that hideous charcoal filter hiding the engine, and don't tell me they cannot hide it unless the Milano and Scrambler PR shots are heavily doctored and the show/demo bikes are just plain wrong. That rear hugger is an abomination of monstrous proportions as well, along with being a crime against unsprung weight.
Instruments? Should be replaced by a demountable smartphone with a suitable App anyway, I think thats probably the future, chose your display size and layout, change the graphics and layout for 99p. Plus a new phone is probably cheaper and easier to buy than a new instrument unit from a niche boutique manufacturer.
Quality? That's in the eye (and fingertips) of the beholder.
And a 14 year old bike? 14 years after the Drum sport they put out the Dart.

Lets just be thankful that we do not buy bikes based on objective reporting, imagine what it would score in a "Which" (not Which Bike) test.

David
Ming

Post by Ming »

[quote=Lets just be thankful that we do not buy bikes based on objective reporting, imagine what it would score in a "Which" (not Which Bike) test.
David[/quote]
Yup - we'd all be on CG125s (an excellent bike for what it's intended for, but...) :)
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

SupermotoDave wrote:KTM already have alternative bikes with their engines in, Husqvarna Viltpilen and Svartpilen, they look like an interesting 350 replacement, with the big brother we have all been clamouring for.
David
A what now?
<Googles>
Hmm. Seat height 835mm. I know that isn't always the whole story so I'll seek one out and try to swing a leg over. There may be some possibility of the excellent John Gaskel at Revs taking a bit out of that and working his magic on the springing and damping (my ER6n is now much, much nicer to ride). Plus it's essentially a hipster, funky, detuned KTM 390 with a significantly higher price tag. I'll put them the spring shopping list though.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

That ride height adjuster turns the ZZ into a much more viable bike for the short of leg. At 5ft 7", I can now get a foot flat on the floor & the balance of the bike is really easy at slow speeds. It's a happier experience at walking speeds by far :D . The charcoal canister is easily removed & no fault codes show as a consequence. The rear hugger is no worse than any new Euro bound bike....all bikes have to have them if the rear tyre extends beyond the rearmost panel on the bike. Take it off, it offends thee? A replacement bracket wouldn't be beyond the scope of many of us practical types. At least Morini put a carbon item on to relieve that unsprung weight. Not that I noticed it..

I'd really recommend a test ride before siding for or against the ZZ, based on what one journo has said. Why not read Alan Cathcart's views after his ride on the ZZ? He owns 2 Corsaro's & loves them AND the ZZ. All those bikes that he rides free gratis...yet he really rates the ZZ. Say's something doesn't it?
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

And there is the more budgetfriendly ZT.....
http://motomorini.eu/en/corsaro-1200-zt

Morini claims
The tank (smaller, thinner) compared to the previous Corsaro ZZ, along with an unchanged saddle enables easier dismounting and an easier, more relaxing ride.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Yes, the ZT is friendlier on the wallet & the inside leg. It's definitely a nice place to be (I've had a sit on one) & may encourage some onto a Morini that may have struggled otherwise?
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Yes, the ZT is friendlier on the wallet & the inside leg. It's definitely a nice place to be (I've had a sit on one) & may encourage some onto a Morini that may have struggled otherwise?