Relays

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
nicko

Relays

Post by nicko »

Hi,

I know topics on relays have been posted before however I would like to add my own tales of woe.

Main beam packed up and was fixed with a new relay, which only lasted a matter of weeks. This was replaced again with a second hand relay (didn't have any new ones at the time). Riding back from the shop, the engine overheated and sprayed coolant out of the breather hole on the expansion tank, all over the nose and relays. Indicators and head-light now did not work. Indicators eventually came back to life but the headlight didn't. Taking the good relay (I still had main-beam) I switched this into all three positions with the result that main-beam, headlight and cooling fan all worked.

I guess that my question really is what causes relays to 'go'?

Also many thanks to Morini_Tom for the quote 'For those interested the new relays I ordered were micro relays Ref: MR15 from here: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... relays.php'

As I have just ordered some due to nobody in my area stocking them. I have tried all the auto-factors, Maplins, Halfords etc.

Cheers
Nick
twisty

Re: Relays

Post by twisty »

were the relays on your bike positioned behind the cockpit screen or in the old original position open to the elements.

I suppose the relays couls fail for a number of reasons.

are they waterproof .i.e epoxy sealed

vibration, heat /cold

or just crap manufacture not originally designed for a bike
nicko

Post by nicko »

The relays are positioned behind the nose cone, bolted underneath the right hand side of the instrument panel (when sat on bike) facing to the side.

As for sealed, I don't think so looking at them. I guess replacements need a good going over with Vaseline etc. Still waiting for them to turn up.
nicko

Post by nicko »

Relays turned up, and look well sealed.

Unfortunately whilst fitting I happened to notice a broken connection going into the mini-connector for the indicators.......
nicko

Post by nicko »

Main beam packed up again last night..........
nicko

Post by nicko »

Went to change the relay and once the nose fairing was off I found the issue......the relay was missing......