GP starting problem

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
oilburnerbike

GP starting problem

Post by oilburnerbike »

HI all. Having a starting issue with the GP.
Push the start button. Bike turns over for a couple of seconds then stops and the dash turns off as in no display. 5 seconds later and the dash comes back on.
Push the button again and the same may happen or it may turn over as normal.
It's totally random. Does not do it all the time. May take 4 or 5 attempts to start or may start as norrmal.
Doesn't matter if its cold or hot anyone else had similar issue?
Any ideas?
Runs perfect apart from that.
Cheers.
MickeyMoto

Re: GP starting problem

Post by MickeyMoto »

How old is the battery?
oilburnerbike

Post by oilburnerbike »

It's not a battery problem. When it cranks over its at normal speed. Starts normally 90% of the time. Even from cold.
As the ecu does the starting ie you press the button once and it cranks till it fires or if it doesn't start it stops cranking after a predetermined time , I'm guessing some kind if sensor issue or ecu fault.
Red S

Post by Red S »

I don't know if they are connected, but I had this problem and the only thing diagnosed so far is a wrecked stator, currently being replaced.
It caused a variety of electrical gremlins when I got soaked recently, about half of which disappeared once the bike had dried out.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Check your terminals for the starter, it’s possibly a poor earth, I have heavy duty cables and an extra earth cable to the frame directly from the battery, the original goes through the loom.
My views but certainly no expert, I am sure there are others more qualified.
If the Ecu is getting an intermitant feed it will try to protect its delicate brain by switching off, and then try to re- establish a consistent feed again, I think starter relay would also cause issues, check clean spade terminals.
Good luck
mort9555

Post by mort9555 »

OilBurnerBike,

A bit late on here but........did you get this fixed? If so, what was it as I was going to offer up 'starter motor brushes coming to the end of their life'.