Rear axle nut

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Red S

Rear axle nut

Post by Red S »

Evening

Rather worryingly, I've noticed that my rear axle nut is completely missing. I suspect this has happened during various mechanics tinkering and eventual recovery by the AA a couple of weeks ago. Luckily? the GP needs a new reg/rec and stator (I will be speaking to Electrex), so it has not been ridden.

Does anyone have the measurements of the nut? - an image would also be helpful. It looks to be a 25mm diameter item.

Whilst I'm here, does anyone have any suggestions for after market pillion footpegs? The pegs and housings on mine are worn out.

Kind regards

Red S
corsaro chris

Re: Rear axle nut

Post by corsaro chris »

I think that the pegs are similar to some Triumphs

Having just adjusted the chain on the GP I know that it uses a 28mm spanner, and it was done up tight!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Red S

Post by Red S »

Well, the M25 1.5mm KTM rear axle nut seems to be the right diameter, but has a different thread. It nearly goes on.....

Hopefully Motohub will be able to supply one. It has apparently been ordered, but there is no delivery date yet.
Red S

Post by Red S »

The rear spindle nut is also not a standard M25 x 1.25mm thread.

I've been in touch with the factory, who said that the nut is not a standard item, it apparently has a special coating. They didn't confirm the sizing, but they would be pleased to supply one through a dealer.

Getting one of these through a dealer, English or Italian, is proving difficult.

Does anyone know whether the rear spindle is the same as the one on a Corsaro? It seems likely.

I seem to be building a collection of useless nuts.....
Painter

Post by Painter »

I will have a look at mine an£ confirm the size, look at Ducati’s, hollow spindle multistrada etc, lots similarities, I am sure you will find what you need.
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Take the axle to somewhere with some pitch gauges to be certain. I have some but I’m sure you could find somewhere local.
Red S

Post by Red S »

Thanks Painter and SupermotoDave

The M25 1.25mm was a Ducati item, which didn't fit.

In further comms with the factory, they have confirmed that the older Corsaro (2006+) is the same spec rear spindle/axle.

I managed to get a nut with chain tensioner blocks on a Corsaro Axle (all of which will fit the GP) from Hills Motor Cycles, essentially a motorbike scrap yard.

I'm disappointed with the dealers however. MotoAmore or Motohub promised to order one along with the other bits I needed and then when I made several further calls, to take one off a bike they had in stock and post it to me, to be with me in a couple of days. I don't know what happened with all that, other than to say that I still have not received anything from them since my first call to them on 14th July. After 5 calls (all made by me) I stopped trying. I note others are pleased with the service they have had from MotoHub, so maybe I've just been unlucky. At least I haven't parted with any money.

In Summary, Hills and the MM factory were helpful and MM contacted me with answers, as a result of which I have the part I need. At least I can ride it to a garage to get the electrics looked at now.....
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
Glad you managed to sort it, there is always a way, but these bikes are worth it.
I had a similar experience with motohub, I arranged to buy a stepper motor I knew they had, I paid for it and a month later still no show, they said it had been returned to them and posted it a second time, still no show, got a refund but it was strange.

Just returned from a 4 day jaunt north coast Scotland on the GP, the NC500 has ruined what was a lovely quiet part of the UK, I have been going up there most years for 25 years, burger vans tents and camper vans everywhere, roads are horrendous bumpy and patched with most of the surface worn out on most sections, bikes everywhere, just blasting through, tick box exercise to the detriment of all.
Still worth going but choose your week and weather.

Good news bike ran well , fuel around 43-46mpg
Red S

Post by Red S »

Good to hear.
6 weeks after ordering, and long after I had given up and found one myself, a rear wheel nut arrived in the post!

The GP should be ready shortly - the stator rewind was straightforward, but finding another gasket proved challenging. Well done Beaky's near Dorking.

I was also told that MotoMondo are now the MM importer for the UK, so it appears Moto hub have lost that strand of business.
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

For future reference, the nut is 25mm 2mm thread pitch. In an emergency, a 25mm electrical steel conduit nut will fit. They are thin, so a few of them together will get you back on the road.