Auxiliary Lights

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
lstrbrr

Auxiliary Lights

Post by lstrbrr »

Hi everyone

Has anyone fitted auxiliary lights to their GP? I have a 2009 model and am considering beefing up the lighting but am not sure about where would be best to mount lights and whether there are any suppliers/models you can recommend.

Thanks
nickst4

Re: Auxiliary Lights

Post by nickst4 »

I guess it depends on whether you just want to be more visible, or be able to pick out elephants in the road at night! I've fitted LED bulbs to all my bikes (it is now fully legal to do this as per recent changes in MOT regs), and added neat eagle-eye LED optics on some of them. One of the most stand-out conversions is to my Ducati Hyperstrada, where I've attached a couple of the neat COB led strips as below to the sides of the radiator. They are fully as powerful as modern cars have, and are very cheap. I've not done this to my Scrambler 1200, yet!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-White-1 ... %3A2334524
lstrbrr

Post by lstrbrr »

Thanks for the response. My objectives were both visibility and picking out the badgers and foxes which are more common around here......

I hadn't realised LEDs were now legal. Would seem to be the best option. Your other suggestions sound interesting and worth exploring and look quite reasonably priced.

Thanks again.

Alastair
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

If you do go for LED headlight bulbs, be sure to make a considered selection. Any that have little or no heat-sink or fan will be low-powered and not worth bothering with. Don't be conned by those that have 4 rows of emitters and claim 360 degree illumination, because they come nowhere near the design and location of the filaments in conventional bulbs and will not work well with your reflector and lens. I don't know what bulb types the GP uses and whether it has CANBUS technology that may object to LEDs, but LED bulbs are available that DO run with modern systems that have failed-light detection. Go for units that have the slimmest-possible carrier for the emitters, because they will place the light source closer to that of the originals.
The best allow you to spin the LED emitters within the mount once fitted, and this can make a significant difference to the beam pattern you'll get.

Of course, not only do you get a brighter and more visible light with LED, but they consume less power and produce less heat that degrades headlamp shells and lenses.

Some people don't like the colour of the light but for me they are a brilliant upgrade!

Nick
ogr1

Post by ogr1 »

lstrbrr wrote: 20 Apr 2021 15:10 Hi everyone

Has anyone fitted auxiliary lights to their GP? I have a 2009 model and am considering beefing up the lighting but am not sure about where would be best to mount lights and whether there are any suppliers/models you can recommend.

Thanks
Hi.
Have a look here https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis ... ng-lights/
Mounting them is a headache, or was.
Light bracket from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184954412368 ... %3A2332490
Fitted this under the front beak and the lights now turn with the handlebars.
Also swapped all plugs with superseal ones as the light plugs were not compatible with the loom auxiliary plugs.
Easy to do.
Attachments
Passo 1.jpg a.jpg
Passo 1.jpg a.jpg (108.39 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
Passo 2.jpg b.jpg
Passo 2.jpg b.jpg (212.52 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
Passo 3.jpg c.jpg
Passo 3.jpg c.jpg (196.76 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
Carpe Diem Nil Desperandum
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

That’s a nice bike. If you are ever near Carlisle could you give me a shout as I have never seen one in the flesh? Thanks Glynn
ogr1

Post by ogr1 »

Tinker wrote: 07 Aug 2021 13:31 That’s a nice bike. If you are ever near Carlisle could you give me a shout as I have never seen one in the flesh? Thanks Glynn
When I get the bloody thing running right, sure. lol.
Are you still after a GP?
Try Ben at https://moto-hub.co.uk/
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

The bike pictured is a version of the GPR (GranpassoR) - probably a really rare version of the standard Gp, but with 17" wheels. Great to ride, I tried one at the Factory back in 2017 (so long ago now...)
GP R edited.jpg
GP R edited.jpg (147.97 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Painter

Post by Painter »

Nice GP R ogri1, not seen one in the flesh, have you checked the valve clearances as the exhaust tighten up, this and lean running from the factory would ruin your low speed running.
ogr1

Post by ogr1 »

Yeah it's a beauty, at least to my eyes.
Not been under the tank and tbh I don't fancy it.
I know bugger all about injection engines and have
no manual guides to go off.
It was a love at 'first sight' purchase lol.
I also have a 97 Blackbird, carb version and that's
a bit easier to understand.
What did you clean your cam sensor with?
That seems an easy task to begin with.
cheers.
Og's.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Yeah still looking for one. I had a look on their (Motohub) website and they don’t list one. I did bid on the one from the Isle Of White but gout outbid. Yours looks really nice in black.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

ogr1 wrote: 07 Aug 2021 23:28 Yeah it's a beauty, at least to my eyes.
cheers.
Og's.
If you go to the Members Area of the website there is a workshop manual available. You have to be a member to be able to login there.

I find the bike easy to work on, the tank swings both ways! It has been designed to be easy. However, checking shims needs a bit of manual dexterity. Probably why the manual shows the engine out of the frame...

I think the answer is that if it is working leave alone. There is only one adjustment, and that is the throttle body balance which I think affects the CO in the exhaust. The throttle body linkages are set at the factory and sealed. The rest is set by the ecu and obviously there are plenty of sensors that can go wrong.
ogr1

Post by ogr1 »

MickeyMoto wrote: 08 Aug 2021 09:41
ogr1 wrote: 07 Aug 2021 23:28 Yeah it's a beauty, at least to my eyes.
cheers.
Og's.
If you go to the Members Area of the website there is a workshop manual available. You have to be a member to be able to login there.

I find the bike easy to work on, the tank swings both ways! It has been designed to be easy. However, checking shims needs a bit of manual dexterity. Probably why the manual shows the engine out of the frame...

I think the answer is that if it is working leave alone. There is only one adjustment, and that is the throttle body balance which I think affects the CO in the exhaust. The throttle body linkages are set at the factory and sealed. The rest is set by the ecu and obviously there are plenty of sensors that can go wrong.
Hmmmm..Seems I need the original password set up from when I first joined this forum.
That has long gone from my memory.
Where do I go from here?
Ming

Post by Ming »

Try asking admin.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

As it says, it's in the Members' Area, so will need the login printed on your Membership card.