Back in the saddle

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Painter

Back in the saddle

Post by Painter »

Hi
I have sold the r1200 GS rallye and picked up a 2009 GP with red frame white bodywork, delighted to be back on a Morini, I paid less than a 1/3 of the price I received for the Gs, which make the morini a bargain, I really can not think of another bike I would rather have despite spares issues and general rarity. It has just made me realised that a great engine in a good chassis is all you need, no esa of tft screens etc, perhaps I am just an old fart but the motorcycle industry is trying to engineer out as much rider error and make motorcycles so user friendly that the original focus and point of two wheels is being lost in my opinion, it’s good to earn ones ride.
Cheers Painter
nickst4

Re: Back in the saddle

Post by nickst4 »

Excellent result Painter, and I agree with your view of the industry. I guess the tech-savvy and tech-dependant market prompts all the electronic rubbish, plus the constant push for more power that gets riders into trouble. Bah, humbug!!

Nick
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi All
I have been slowly and methodically working my way through the GP I bought recently, the bike would not tick over but ran well above 2k, it had a BSD remap and tuning session some years ago which worked really well. The problem started shortly after the previous owner bought the bike, fixing it has proved very frustrating and elusive, I know I was helping him from time to time.
Now it is my turn,mileage 17k miles , so I have stripped back the injection system cooling system and checked the valve cleanses and cam timing.
My findings so far, are rear head has .20 exhaust clearance and the front head has.08 and .020 respectively. One valve is mega tight and all are out of spec. They are still running the 2.5mm shims from the factory, so I don’t think it has ever been shimmed.
I compression tested it cold rear cyl 180 and front 155psi, using a light probe I could not see and valve damage. I think a combination of things will lead to a lack of tick over rather than one thing, I will be able to hopefully find the problem.
The Bosch Maf sensor mounted at the front, might be faulty so looking into a replacement, it’s an Alfa fiat part.
One other thing, is I have used Viton seals in the water housing in the crank case has any body else used these, they are good for 200 degrees.
Cheers painter.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Good luck with your efforts and methodical approach. At least with the valve clearances you've found some problems but, as you say, there may be others. That bike ought to be brilliant, particularly for someone with longer legs than me. The only downside to it might be the fuel consumption but you should have some control on that! Possibly...

Nick
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi Nick
I owned the other GP for sale at str motorcycles, had it for 4 years, went right through it the same way, sorting every little problem out along the way, it takes time but is enjoyable as these bike are so rewarding to ride on todays roads.
I wanted this particular bike as it had all the right bits, wider rim back wheel which lowers the bikes seat height, profile of tyre.
I can get both feet almost flat on the ground and paddle it around, my old one was a bit higher, I am 5’10
The gas mileage of my old one was pretty bad 30mpg , but a new map was installed, This one should be 40s, which would be great, such a great bike, the quality of the engine machining is superb in my opinion .
How are you getting on with yours or other Morini’s
Here’s to Getting out and about when lockdown eases.
Best
Painter
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Hi Painter,

When it comes to the GP, you De Man! Sadly, I'm 4" shorter than you, but I already have various bikes that cover the GP slot, though not necessarily all in one. My Duke ST4 is a great distance bike, the Gran Canyon with a soft Ducati 900 motor is a comfortable upright bike I adore, and the Hyperstrada is upright and fast and frugal, not that the later is a big consideration.

My only Morini is the Scrambler 1200 and it's had little use since I got it in Summer '20. At the moment I'm hoping for back surgery ASAP, so who knows when I'll be riding again? I envy all the rest of you taking advantage of little bits of nice weather!

Nick
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi Nick
A scrambler really nice machine, I fancy one myself or perhaps a corsaro , they are all great with the big twin sitting between the elegant frame, just love these engines.
I have a Grand Canyon, well hybrid as I put a Bmw Gs tank on it and lots of mods , it’s my long term favourite old friend, soft strong and reliable, but it can hustle around the Welsh hills close to where I live, when needs must.
I have mainly bikes from the 70s laverda, airheads, guzzi, bevels etc, so like you quite a mix.
The morini is my modern come shopping bike which it is perfectly suited to.
I love Ducati 2valve and 4 valve bikes , I have had quite a few over the last 22 years, since being able to afford them, but the morini engine is in my opinion a step up from the earlier 888 999 1098 , I have little experience of the very new ones from 2014 onwards but have ridden the 1200s multi quite a bit , which is a very good bike ,but I think the Gp is a better.
So lots to plAy with and might get some riding in .
Cheers Steve
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi all
Quick update on my progress with the GP2 , after re-shimming the exhaust valve clearances all where out and one 0.07 very tight, new ethanol proof fuel lines stainless clips, new Viton O rings both injectors and coolant ports in both heads, flushed and set everything up, checked the valve timing with a dial gauge , I fired her up.
Ran nice and smoothly upto temp but still failed to tick over, or perhaps a better term would be stalling issue.

I have not ridden the bike since a full inspection to ascertain the issue as it’s still the same. The wiring harness has been stripped and cleaned checked everything is working, no fault codes on the dash, management light out, the stepper motor is cycling and appears to be working, I have been lucky enough to buy a new stepper but have not fitted that yet, flushed the old one with carb cleaner and now I have a 2500-3000 rpm tickover, so it’s obviously sticking.
I have fitted a new lambda sensor, but not tried a new maf sensor, under cover at the front of the bike.
The new stepper not fitted yet along with the TPS has been replaced coil sticks and plugs changed tested etc all good, I don’t have access to diagnostic mapping software and WINDOWS, as Mac user , my lack of knowledge and experience etc, old school carb type of chap, I have decided to take it to BSD for a full remap, they were keen to tell me that many things have improved and that the latest software is a big improvement over older downloads , in 2013 this bike had a remap at BSD the previous owner let me test it and it was very good.

So to sum up, an issue has developed and the previous owner has taken it to three different places to try and sort out the problem to no avail, I am now pining all my hopes on the remap and reset TPS etc with everything mechanical spot on will give me a very good GP, that will have good fuel consumption and no stalling tickover problems, my date with them is later this month so will post with info and progress report.

I have made a few additional mods that I had fitted to my previous GP, firstly an oil cooler quite a large one I had on the shelf, it works really well as these engines run hot and the fan is constantly kicking in, it does not reduce this by much at standstill but the engine runs slightly cooler in urban environments when moving.. the other is a fender extender and additional mudguard brackets, drilled and tapped m6 fixing on the brake calliper support, it worked a treat on my last GP and stopped the mudguard mount fracturing which they seem to do.
I have a set of fully adjustable Ducati Multistrada forks which are almost a perfect fit, so once I have the running issues sorted I will be fitting these.
Best wishes to all and hope we can get out properly soon now that lockdown here in the Uk at least is starting to ease.
Painter
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Good luck with the BSD diagnostic. They were very kind when I took the ST4 over there for a quick look once I'd bought it years ago.

I looked at the pics of your last GP, still amazingly unable to find a buyer, and finally decided the longer front fender had been added post-factory. A good idea in my book, especially on a bike expected to go pretty-much anywhere in any weather. I think Ducati are probably the worst people in neglecting engine protection, obviously because it's not cool...

Nick
Painter

Post by Painter »

Yes thanks I hope so, they have a Good reputation and have done 5 other Morini’s, when I spoke with them they where very confident about sorting it out.
I have decided to do a decat on the collector before I go, to maximise my remapping investment, so fingers crossed.
How are you getting on with yours .
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Mine's a Scrambler, and awaiting me getting back in the saddle after some work on my back. As are all the other bikes too. I can't wait to get out on two wheels again, especially to sample the contrast of 1200ccs of Morini compared with 250cc of 1957 Guzzi Airone, bought a couple of weeks ago!

Nick
Painter

Post by Painter »

here is a pic of the oil cooler and plumbing
Attachments
GP2 OILCOOLERF
GP2 OILCOOLERF
IMG_3677.JPG (203.35 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
Painter

Post by Painter »

PIC of oil cooler
Attachments
IMG_3676.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG (289.84 KiB) Viewed 8481 times
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Painter;

On mpg, my 2013 model year GP gets me around 45 when I ride it for some distance - i.e., not around town. I've reached 200 miles on a couple of occasions with only some 10 -15 miles on reserve. It pulls from just off tick-over and hasn't stalled on me (yet) over 20,000 miles. Mind, the chain broke (not too long after a service, and it wasn't over-tight), and I've had problems with the regulator...

Like yours it has the H83 rear wheel and slimmer seat. A lovely machine, all I really need for it is a centre stand; my original 2009 model came with this from the importer, 3X, but the factory no longer has them available, and of course we are all being pointed at the X-Cape now for 'adventure'.

Good riding, and keep the updates coming,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi Chris
I am hoping that BSD with there new software will be able to get the best balance between tractability and economy.
My previous GP still for sale at SRt was very heavy on fuel , I just lived with it, I have read of many people downloading maps at home in the hope of improving the performance without the use of a rolling road with out comes of small or insignificant changes or making it worse, I do believe mine has been fiddled with by supposed experts , and has suffered to the the point of it not running at all right.
What age is your GP, i assume it has the same Ecu, Which means I should be able to get it to run as well as yours. 45mpg would be very good, 32 mpg was more the norm previously on my old one, I believe this one was pretty good before it developed the tick over issue, anyway fingers crossed.
My regulator has been wire directly to the battery with the standard alternator output yellow wires, and not
through the loom as standard, seems to be the factory mod.
I have also made up and upgraded all the starter and earth cables with 10mm cables.
Cheers
Painter