Gran passo at STV motorcycles

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Mark N.I.

Gran passo at STV motorcycles

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi,
Does anyone know the bike, or even the dealer?
https://stvmotorcycles.co.uk/product/mo ... granpasso/

1 thing I did notice with it is the front cylinder
https://stvmotorcycles.co.uk/wp-content ... b846f9.jpg

Cheers
Mark
9 1/2: by no means a lesser Corsaro
nickst4

Re: Gran passo at STV motorcycles

Post by nickst4 »

It's certainly been on ebay for a long time when I would have expected it to be snapped up quickly. So what was the issue with the front cylinder?

Nick
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi nick,
Yeah must be pushing 6months now it has been up.
I zoomed in on the engine and the front cylinder on the left hand side looks stained/oily as if there is a gasket gone on it. Just wondering if this was a known issue.
Cheers

Mark
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

It looks like a lot of bike for not very much money. The price is the same as I spent on the Scrambler, and those appear and disappear at the speed of, well, a Morini 1200! :lol:

Nick
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

:lol: yeah they don't tend to hang around. I fancy a return to the morini fold after too long away, although I have also spotted a very nice benelli 1130 tnt that has also been for sale for some time, but morini options are few and far between.
I know mickeymoto's old scrambler is for sale but it is over my budget unfortunately.
Never know what will come up in the next few weeks though as people consider changing I guess.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

My bike guru Carl Harrison put me right off the Benelli triples because he reckoned the electrics are a nightmare. Plus, of course, they have one cylinder too many for my liking. I test-rode a Triumph 1050 and was thoroughly disappointed with it's multi-cylinder feel, among other things. It was such a pleasure to get back onto my faithful lusty Ducati ST4!

Nick
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Yeah I've heard gremlins on their electrics and the 1130 has some kind of power control modes though information seems vague. It's also listed as a 2012 but isn't running the monobloc calipers so I'm assuming it's an older one which has sat. It's just the exotica that attracts, much like morinis I guess.
I've only rode 1 3 cylinder and it was a new 900 tiger rally pro, which just has way too much wizardry on it
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Was not the engine on the Benelli made by Franco Morini? I think I may have heard somewhere there is an engine fault on the triple. Can someone confirm or otherwise?

On the Granpasso, it may be the cambox gasket that needs inspecting. There is no barrel to speak of! I think there is also a drain hole for the spark plug somewhere.
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi mickey,
Yes it would appear there was a link with franco morini and the early engines, translations aren't great so hard to tell if it was the 900 or 1130s and at what point they stopped.
Would the cambox gasket be a big job to do? The staining does seem to be below a hole which is only on 1 side of the engine so could be the drain
Attachments
Screenshot_20201231-145555_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201231-145555_Chrome.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 10278 times
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The staining is on the barrel, below the head gasket.

Looking at the bolt on plate it may be road crud from the front wheel. Without running your finger over it it is hard to tell. Is it the same on t'other side?

The cam box gasket is OK, but need to drop the radiator.

Do you know anybody close by who could look for you?

Is there a warranty on the bike? Might be worth having a chat with the seller.
roofus

Post by roofus »

hi mark ,i owned it for a year before i px it at stv ,i found paul and the team great to deal with and would use again , i bought it from a member of this forum if i remember rightly the paint had flaked around front cylinder it certainly didnt leak any oil ,unfortunately my legs are to short for it ,cheers
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Shortness of leg? Yeh, I know about that! Then again, if the reflexes are good, it's not too much of a problem unless the bike really is silly-tall. Of course, picking something like that off the floor on your own is not something to attempt unless you have the build of a gorilla or very good technique.

Nick
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi roofus, good to hear the bike came from a MRC member, you are the perfect man then, how short is short and do you know why the speedo says 2870 but it is listed as 15870 miles, is that the trip?

Mickey, the other side looks clean. That is my other problem, being in NI I have limited options for who to take it to, best option I've found is Christian Elkin, road racer, he tuned the k1200r
Attachments
258447c320d84e1787a26bd1a2760856.jpg
258447c320d84e1787a26bd1a2760856.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 10269 times
roofus

Post by roofus »

5.10 never dropped it and wouldnt want to with a full tank , the overall mileage is legit ,i found it was thirsty so plugged in tune ecu to see what map it had and for some reason it reset the clock to zero then failed to start :( ,i took it to amore moto who installed the latest map which improved the running and mpg massively
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Same as myself then at 5.10. I've rode the tenere 700 which is 875mm and I believe the granpasso is 870, not a massive difference.
Ah the joys of Italian electrics I guess, good that there are dealers who can sort that stuff out, would be a send away job for me if that happened