Update

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Painter

Update

Post by Painter »

Hi all
It's been a while so I thought I would give you all an update on my life with a granpasso 2 years into ownership.
I bought it at 6k although I am not sure about the mileage, it now has 11500 and about to get a full going over now that it's
Very cold outside, it's my all year round do it all bike.
I have not checked the plugs or valve clearances so this and an oil change, plus have a look at the cam chains and tensioner blades.
The bike makes a slight chain against blade noise until it get warm then it's very quiet and smooth, has anybody else experienced this, something to keep and eye on.
The speedo sensor went awol and the Cush drive rubbers and rear wheel bearing was knocked, look like over enthusiastic pressure washing.
I have made a few modifications to the bike, see pix changed the coolant for a non water based high temp stuff and fitted a big oil cooler which does help a bit , as the bike gets upto temp at the first hint of stopping 98 c and the fans come on , now it takes a little longer and I am not so paranoid.
The indicators front and back have been junked and I have fitted some simple led rubber mounted ones on some brackets and covers ,I made up, functional I believe it's called.
Also the front fender extender, which keeps the crap off the oil cooler and exhaust.
The front screen is from a BMW GSA which I once owned and loved but heavy and not quite so good on the road as the GP.
Gives great weather protection and since I ride with a Davida open face I can sit all day at 90.
Hid lamps on both dip and main works brilliantly.
The only issue is heavy full consumption not sure but around 35 ish, must do a proper check after the service which is the price I pay for a bike I can not fault, after 27 months of all weather riding.
Hope to see some other GP riders this coming year.
Cheers Painter
Ps will have to load photos in next post
Painter

Re: Update/photos

Post by Painter »

image1.JPG
image1.JPG (103.26 KiB) Viewed 11428 times
Pix of my Granpasso
Attachments
image4.JPG
image4.JPG (139.69 KiB) Viewed 11428 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (119.71 KiB) Viewed 11428 times
Painter

Re: Update

Post by Painter »

another pic of the oil cooler
Attachments
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (127 KiB) Viewed 11428 times
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Nice - and glad that you are enjoying the ride!

The fuel consumption does seem high; with my comparable aged GP I was getting about 40 - 45 mpg with stop-start riding. On my new (2013) one I recently experienced 230 miles before going on to reserve, and used just under 22 litres to cover that distance. This was a lot of motorway and main A-road riding, up to the Stafford show and back, so very little stop and quiet a lot of go...

The new (2017) models have yet another fuel map, and the GP-R is claimed to have a performance that equates to about 45 mpg. They have also upped the reserve (i.e. - the fuel light comes on earlier) due to issues with the fuel sump (not pump, although there have been issues with one or two of those) performance - if I understand the description correctly. If I was buying a GP now and had the choice, I'd probably go for the R model, it rides really well on the tarmac, which is where I spend my time...

Good riding, and keep the updates coming!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi Chris
Thanks for your comments, I have not really checked the fuel consumption, but always fill up at 160 because the fuel warning light only comes on when the tank is empty, I found this out during my first week of ownership. A refill at 160 can take 20l plus litres so 35mpg ish and possibly better on a gentle motorway run.
The bike has been very reliable with no real issues including the mapping or hesitancy which I have read about.
Tomorrow I am going to check and adjust everything, as I have quite a number of other bikes all classics which seem to take up my time, so the morini has just been ridden.

I did consider a remap with BSD but I don't really have any real issues that warrant the outlay.
Great bike and not one I would part with easily as there is nothing else out there, for what I paid, so it's worth looking after.
A few months back I did enquire As to the cost of a new one, 15500 euros from the factory, which is competitive with others but a lot for the same as my bike, a consideration when I have worn this one out, need to ride more...........
I will have a look at the cam chain tensioner blades and report back what I find, as the noise on start up is slightly worrying.
Cheers
Painter
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

Blimey, just looked at your number plate, and my heart skipped a beat for a minute as i thought mine had been cloned.
Number plate on my ex Torque bike is KX58 HLO They must have been registered on the same day after each other!
I saw your comment on the other thread of living by me, I would not mind having a look as I have not seen a GP in the flesh!
Painter

Post by Painter »

General update
I have just finished stripping it down and checking the valve clearance , inlets on both heads .20 -.25 and exhausts .25-.30 very pleased.
The compression test showed 145 psi both cylinders, and both cam chains and tensioner blades showed no signs of wear.
I feel reassured by this and now believe my original mileage of 6k, so I think the bike will be good for many years to come.
Compared to my old ktm 950 adventure it came apart quite easily with access being quite good for this type of bike.
Any others GP riders out there doing there own servicing and riding through the winter let me know your thoughts.
Cheers
Painter