Just had BSD remap my GP

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
oilburnerbike

Just had BSD remap my GP

Post by oilburnerbike »

Hi,
Just been to BSD to get my GP remapped. Not cheap but I can actually ride the damn thing now.
They have a facebook page, I have posted comments on there.
If you don't do facebook.........

When I got my GP last Nov it had 2 previous owners. The first appeared to use it in all weathers, the second made inroads to bringing back to an acceptable standard, but nowhere near far enough.
So I inherited a bike that was cosmetically challenged and frankly ran like the proverbial bag of sh*te to the point that I didn't want to swing my leg over it, preferring to ride one of my other bikes, any one it didn't matter they were all better than the GP!
Cold running. Almost impossible to ride.
Once over 75C on the temp gauge it would run better but was unpredictable, jerky, flat.....just horrible, especially below 4000rpm.
Pulling off from a standstill the bike would feel like it was bogging down just off idle. Open the throttle a bit, feed in some clutch, bit more throttle and......nothing, just didn't want to pick up.
When I bought it there was an overlay fast bike mapping system fitted. Took it off. No difference. Replaced the GPR can with the standard can, no difference.
Airfilter good. Plugs good. Valve clearances good. All connections in the loom checked and cleaned. no difference.

So off to BSD I went last Friday.

Friendly bunch. Loads of tea, very welcome after a 6 oclock start from home in mist and fog!

Step 1. Download the standard map.

Step 2. Remove the lambda probe (not easy, previous owner had been at it!) and throw it in the bin. BSD do a plug to blank off the resultant hole.

Step 3. Install BSD lambda probe to measure the mixture on the dyno.

Step 4. Take a run with the standard mapping. Oh dear. VERY weak, for emissions purposes no doubt.

Step 5. Adjust the mapping. This took about 40 mins of trial and error until Mark (extremely knowledgeable guy on ALL types of bikes, manufacturers etc) was happy to test ride.

Step 6. Test ride.

Step 7. Back in the cell for a tweak.

Step 8. My turn to road test.

Step 9. Another tweak. Due to different riding styles required to stop intermittent close throttle stalling.

Step 10. Another road test.

Step 11. Another tweak to smooth the just off idle performance.

Step 12. Another road test.

Step 13. There isn't one. Bike runs perfect.

The result, just over 116bhp at the back wheel and over 70 footpounds of torque from just under 4000rpm.

These are just figures. On the road the bike is transformed. From around 3500rpm a wisp of throttle will see you heading for the horizon at speed. It will pull happily down to 2000rpm in top and pull cleanly, obviously taking care with the throttle as you wouldn't normally ride like that! The engine is smoother. Pull off is normal. Once I stop playing with my new found performance I'll check the fuel consumption. Before it was around 40mpg, mainly because I used to have to keep to at least 4000rpm as the low speed running was diabolical.

If you bike runs like this out of the crate, lucky you!

Not cheap, but very good.
Attachments
20170825_090913small.jpg
20170825_090913small.jpg (312.93 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
mort9555

Re: Just had BSD remap my GP

Post by mort9555 »

Hi oilburnerbike,
Just seen this and can relate to your woes. BSD mapped mine 5 years ago, put in a corsaro map and 128 came out the back wheel. All the aggro I had from new in 2009 was really disappointing but the chaps at BSD dumped the lambda and dropped the map in and hey presto a completely different and rideable bike. Still got it and just turned 40k miles although is now having a few tantrums over the last year.