Broken Swingarm

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
toggy

Re: Broken Swingarm

Post by toggy »

I had the bigger givi screen and thought it made no difference to wind turbulence,although I'm 6ft 4
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Any more on this 'issue'?

Is it a tension thing?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Advice to dealers is apparently to increase the chain play on all the models with the cast swing arm (so the GP, Scrambler and Sport); this issue does seem to have gone quiet, unless some-one else knows otherwise?

Our 2013 Model Year has now done 12,000 miles, and I look in to the murk at the back of the engine every time I was the road salt off; but the break is most likely going to be a) sudden, and b) from the inside out... Ride and enjoy seem to be sound advice!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Painter

Post by Painter »

This old thread is very relevant to the latest breakage with info re the chain adjustment.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I got to over 25,000 miles before letting the GP go earlier this year - and then only because I was finding moving the bike around fully loaded was becoming a little more difficult due to advancing age... There was no sign of wear / a break at the swing arm brace point which is where the fractures have been experienced. I set the chain at the revised tension levels as advised...

It will be interesting to see if the new X-Cape 1200, based on the GP and with the 1200 V engine as its base (we hope) has a redesigned frame... If it carries the weight lower I'd be looking at this as the ride and bike generally id=s the best ever (and yes, I have run a BMW).

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"