Back in the saddle

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
corsaro chris

Re: Back in the saddle

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Painter;

Mine came out of the Factory in Bologna in May / June 2013; this was the period of Morini Rent and I believe that it was used as a demonstrator for a period and then offered as a 'As New' bike in October 2015, when Morini had moved to south of Milan. I bought it with a few thousand kilometres on the clock, but before it was exported to a UK dealer (NLM, obviously) the Factory ensured that it had the speedo reading mph and the correct bulbs for riding on the left; they left the temperature reading in Celcius after checking with me what I wanted. All in all, impressive service. When I visited Morini in 2017, to test ride the GranpassoR I met with Alberto, who had managed the sale, and thanked him personally...

It's done 20,000 miles now, so not many in the scheme of things, and I still find that it gives us great pleasure; it's my bike of choice when Diane and I go out for a run - if I need a more hedonistic fix I have the Corsaro, which is very definitely a machine for a single rider; pillion not required! My previous GP has been on visits to Italy, Germany and France, but we've yet to take this one abroad anything like so much - apart from a short hop across the Channel to the Somme battlefields in 2016 it's mainly ferried us to UK destinations... We'd planned on a Factory visit in 2020, but we all know how that panned out... It's just so comfortable, both solo and two up, and the carrying capacity is sufficient for two for two weeks and more (we learnt to pack throw-over panniers, so the space in the H&B feels generous!).

Hopefully we'll all get to meet up later in the year, and until then - Good Riding

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Painter

Re: Back in the saddle

Post by Painter »

Hi Chris
Thanks for you input, it’s very easy to forget after all this tech stuff that it’s all about getting out and riding.
I rode my first Morini in 1979 it was a sport with wire wheels from Harglo my second a 500 sport 1982, before moving onto guzzis , Ducati’s and the odd laverda, of which I still have all three.
My 1200 ownership started in 2015 after running elefants and Canyons, both great bikes but getting a bit old now. The GP is the best of these and much more, so that why I wanted another, simple easy and well made, after the GS rallye which is an utterly capable machine the morini might seem like a retro step, but like you I found it suited me and not much else has.
I look forward to getting out this year.
Have you done the Colombres rally, you might enjoy that, I was there in 2016, on an old r100rs 1978.
Cheers
Painter (artist)