Gearbox sprocket removal

The Cagiva era Morinis
nr.

Gearbox sprocket removal

Post by nr. »

This sounds really daft - but is there a knack to getting the gearbox sprocket off? I've removed the nut and washer, but I can't for the life of me get the sprocket off. It's probably just some corrosion which is keeping it in the output shaft, but before I dive in there with a bit of heat, I just want to check that I'm not missing something obvious! I've done a bit of searching around the place, and can't find any reference to any special technique, so I'm assuming it's just me not being quite forceful enough :)

Thanks,
morini_tom

Re: Gearbox sprocket removal

Post by morini_tom »

Did you manage this in the end?

There is nothing special about it, its a conventional right hand threaded nut and the sprocket itself is just located on two flats on the output shaft. No taper or anything so should pull straight off. I would use a puller on it rather than any sort of impact which may damage the gearbox bearings, but I've never had an issue getting one off. Lots of penetrating oil and patience before resorting to brute force
3potjohn

Re: Gearbox sprocket removal

Post by 3potjohn »

Should come off as described.A squirt of penetrating oil and leave until next day ought to work. Don’t suppose someone used a variety of loctite on the shaft? No reason to.You could try some well directed heat on the sprocket if still stuck.
Good luck
John