Sticky starter

The Cagiva era Morinis
3potjohn

Re: Sticky starter

Post by 3potjohn »

Had a bit more time to investigate a slight or not so slight whine more noticeable on the overrun.That may be a red herring as the silencers are fairly brisk.I should state this is a Coguaro not a Dart but has broadly the same system.
If I run without the sprag gearset the sound is eliminated. Well it was once I mastered using the kickstart which is a bit on the high side.
Upon reassembly the only bearing I removed was the inner flat roller. So it could be reversed but I did not identify its orientation. When bolting the cover back on I tried inserting and tightening the bolt running through the gear shaft first before the other 2 long bolts and the three short casing screws.
Whine eliminated.
I found this before by accident.I do not know if the flat roller or the sequence with which the casing was tightened is the cause.
The top and tail of it is I want to source the flat roller bearing.
Measuring with the trusty Alidi caliper (!!!) I make it 27.5 OD ,1.96 thick with 12.1 ish ID. Simply Bearings do one that’s 28mm by 12mm by 2mm . For the approx 3 quid it might be worth it except that ID is the same as the shaft diameter
If anyone can confirm the measurements it would be helpful.
John
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I still think you should reduce the thickness of those probably not original 1.5mm thrust washers by replacing with some new as per my last post- firstly because the gearset will be shimmed wrongly, and secondly because the thrust washer is hardened and intended to take the axial loading the helical gear imparts, and your 1.5mm ones may not be.

For 3 quid it is also replacing the needle roller thrust bearing (and I'd probably replace both of them incase they have both been damaged by the incorrect shimming- if one is whining then both could have been damaged in the same way). I don't have any spare unfortunately. There were some NOS ones on eBay a while back, but I think they were about a tenner and in the USA.

Just measured my needle rollers up at 12.09 id and 25.71 od, 1.95 needle diameter- I think your 27.5 measurement may be a typo?

Closest I can see from a quick search is https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p8796 ... _info.html

The below link is a set that looks to be the thrust bearing, and 2x 1mm thrust washers- so two of these kits would do you, and as I said in the previous post, I would use the 1mm thrust washers on different shafts, with the thinner of your original thrust washers on the other ends to split the thickness difference as the original thrust washers were 0.95mm
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p9626 ... _info.html

Let us know how you get on,
Tom
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Thanks again for this. I will let you know the outcome.Bled front brake today. That furry alloy reservoir cap was nice.
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Got the items as described from Simply Bearings.Exact match for the thrust washers and thrust bearings.Bit of swapping around but now just a barely audible sound.This may be as good as it gets.
Nodded wisely at those six cush rubbers which are intact.For now!
In spite of the malarkey various have managed about 1200miles since June mostly in the many lanes of Devon.
Thanks for the help.John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Rubber in the old oil syndrome yesterday. Am assuming it is a sprag rubber. I have a keel support rubber kicking about but it is probably the wrong kind of rubber or something.
Oh well…..
John
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Ach that’s bloody annoying.

Definitely something we need to have remanufactured now.

Between yourself, Me, John B, Julian and Benjy I think we have plenty of info and thoughts. And a meterial spec supposedly from Ing Lambertini has been mentioned via the italian club.

I have a new one we can have copied (non destructively, this is my dart’s insurance policy so it’s worth more to me than I can express). So it is only a case of finding a competent supplier with experience of this sort of thing.

It’s worth speaking with Doug at Mdina about these, he may be willing to investigate a batch. If not, I’m sure the club would support it if someone is prepared to do the leg work.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hi Tom
I have emailed Mdina just now. I have tried making some from this block of rubber which sort of fit ( Allen Millyard I am not) but as said may not be resilient to oil immersion.
By way of a control of sorts I will leave a bit in oil parked on a radiator if I can get away with it!
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

I think the right material for these cheese triangles is Vulkollan which is very dificult to mecanize.
nr.

Post by nr. »

Please count me in too... although currently my starter isn't misbehaving, I know it's only a matter of time really. And I'd hate for something as small as this to take the bike off the road permanently! So if there's any chance to get a batch made up, I'll happily have one or two.

(Been a long time since I wrote anything about the Dart. In other words, it's been boringly reliable and has just worked every time I've jumped on it! That said, it did drop fuel on the floor yesterday, but I think that's down to it's displeasure at having to share the garage with a Ducati now :) )

Thanks,