Dart Handlebar Riser

The Cagiva era Morinis
manxgazzer

Dart Handlebar Riser

Post by manxgazzer »

Hello, I am new to this forum and a new Morini owner having just bought a 350 Dart for my wife.

She loves the bike but would like the handlebars to be higher to take the pressure off her hands, have any other Dart owners ever found a way to rise the bars?
20190331_1617161.jpg
20190331_1617161.jpg (401.07 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
morini_tom

Re: Dart Handlebar Riser

Post by morini_tom »

The late Ken Philp had I believe handlebar risers on his dart. I have contact details for the current owner of the bike so I will ask him if they’re still on the bike and perhaps we can get you some pictures.

It should be reasonably straightforward to raise them as they are already semi-clip ons on risers so an extra spacer should be possible with a bit of machining.

The fork tubes protrude through the top yoke and the clipon clamps to that. An additional bolt locates the clipon into the top yoke. The ‘nut’ on the top of the fork tube is a round bar with two flats on it and no adjusters or anything so really easy to make a new one up on a lathe but a bit longer.

If it were me I would have a new fork top nuts machined but have them made however much longer you want. That way you retain clamping directly to the fork leg. You’d then want a spacer and a longer bolt so you can bolt into the top yoke. Doing it that way would retain a fairly original look as well. But you would still have the bars at the same angle as original just higher up. If you want to lift the bars so they are flatter then that would require modification or replacement of the bar riser/clipon which would be a bit more complicated.

You would need to check how much you can change the position of the bars without clashing bodywork before you go too far in making new parts. And of course, you will need a longer front brake line to suit, and possibly throttle cables depending how much you want to move the position.

I went the opposite way on mine and dropped the bars level with the top yoke. It suits my riding style by by god do my wrists ache after an hour!
manxgazzer

Re: Dart Handlebar Riser

Post by manxgazzer »

Interesting thanks for the reply, low bars do create a good deal of wrist and back ache lol two of my other replica race machines have clip ons on so I know all to well...