Dart 400 & K&N's

The Cagiva era Morinis
Tom

Dart 400 & K&N's

Post by Tom »

Hallo Morinisti,

I have a 400 Dart fitted with K&N's. I did the special 'treatment' / grinding work on the Kokusan flywheel, and it runs ok now, it settles a nice stationary run. They only problem at the moment is getting some good power out of it when put through its paces. It think this is due too the size of the main jets, because of the K&N's it has fitted. There was no airbox included when i bought the bike, so i will have to do with the K&N's. The standard main jet of the Dart 400 is 92. I am using 96 at the moment. Does anybody has experience with K&N's on the Dart and which main jet will be the most suitable? Will also be on the lookout for an original airbox, K&N's and my old 3 1/2 was not a good marriage in the past..

Big thanks to the man/woman who knows!

Tom
EVguru

Re: Dart 400 & K&N's

Post by EVguru »

With a standard de-restriced airbox you can go to standard Strada/Sport main jetting.

The airbox is almost the same as 350 Excalibur and Kanguru, so there should be a few around. I might have one somewhere.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Tom

Post by Tom »

Big Thanks Paul, so i should go for 115 main jets then, Thanks!
Tom

Post by Tom »

S/oren of the German morini board (owner of a Dart) says the K&N's can be used well on the Dart, he advices to use 125/130 main jets.
So i will try that first and have a spin, put my experience and some photo's of the beast(y) down here.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Finally hope to get some time to play with her!

Last edited by Tom on 25 Jul 2015 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
tomros

Post by tomros »

Back on topic, the Dart performs very well on 125 Mains. It settles nice to stationairy after opening the gas, but not quite as rapid as the older v-twins i have. I guess this still has something to do with the kokusan and not the carb balancing thing. Although i had a 501 New York at one time, and this one didn't seem the have the kokusan issues. Oh well, 99 % result is still a result.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Well, the engine response to idle after closing the gas is exactly the same as my 501 camel (with Ducati ignition), so guess there are no Kokusan issues any more after the flywheel grinding work!
I guess this is the Dart 400 the factory should have sold long ago.. as far as my knowledge goes, the Dart 350 didn't have the issues with 'poor' or should i say too lively idle running ..
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Out of interest, does anyone know which size or serial number of K&N filters are a good fit on a Dart, and have people used round straight or tapered?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Dave, they say you are better off with oval K&N's for ideal airflow , but i have used the small conical's on the Dart, and that worked fine for me.

The K&N's and Dart's are a good marriage because you have a lot of panel work where they can sit behind (also get rid of the bulky airbox); with the 'naked' Morini's this is not possible, and you seem to get problems with airflow.