Round Britain Rally

Where have you been on your Morini? Post your tales of ride outs, great roads, holidays etc here.
Ralph

Re: Round Britain Rally

Post by Ralph »

It is great fun and a good excuse for getting out and about on the bike, you also visit
things and places of interest, Borders in September hope it's not closed when I get there,
those that take a less relaxed attitude and do every one must take some time and do some miles.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Another 245 miles and 3 waypoints done today, it was fine for the first 90/100 miles
then it hammered down for the next 115 ish then dry the wife said it's been sunny all
day at home, mostly traveling at a indicated 60 got 92 mpg, just after getting on the A66
it started missing on hills, out of fuel turned on reserve did not find a fuel station till
Kirkby Stephen, how it made it I don't know, off to give it a well earned wash it looks
like it's been used as a field bike.
Just checked it's only 19 miles on reserve, felt like 90.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Next are 3 up in Scotland about 320 miles round trip, was going
to use a modern bike but some of the Enfield club may be tagging along
on their way to Knock Hill so if they do I will likely use the Strada
only this time I will get fuel every 150 miles or so, Fuel especially
out in the stick's is getting harder to get, twenty years back
we had 3 stations in and around our village now non, doing 2/300
miles in a day in areas you don't know certainly concentrates the
mind in this, the modern bike will be much worse probably have
to refuel every 100 miles to be safe but at least it as a gauge to
nag you.
From the last trip,
Ready for the off sat idling at 1100 RPM in front of Knott Ends 4 faced liar.

Outside a greasy spoon just after the 3rd roundabout East of Skipton, the 8 Wheeler brecky is good value.

Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

1100 rpm tickover? - show-off!! It's good to see a Morini getting so much use.

Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

It will tick over at under 1000 rpm but even though it doesn't stop I can't bring myself to trust it in traffic
and even though it does have a reliable tick over it usually takes 3 or so kicks to start it so if it does stop
it can cause a few seconds embarrassment, only got the Morini just now so it is getting a lot of use. Awaiting
the arrival of a Yamaha MT-07, think Morini Strada with electric starter, brakes that wile they are no better do
have a lot more feel, weight about 10kg more but with over twice the power, but any Strada owner would feel
right at home, even the clutch feels the same.
Another 40+ miles today and another soaking, good practice for the Scots Borders in about 3 weeks time unless
they have gone independent and I need the passport I don't have.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Well now I have a choice for the last few RBR points, the MT-07 arrived 2 days back
now up to 120 miles and will be due it's first service when I get back from Scotland
if I don't use the Morini that is, if you like riding Morini's get a test ride on one of these.

Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Well RBR is over for me for another year, used 3 bikes the Morini did 10 of the waypoints out of the 22
I did and covered about 700 miles, so we will get a Bronze award, the Morini as done just over 2200 mile
so far this year and averaged over 90 mpg, only problem as been a indicator bulb and a set of tyres so
a good year for the Morini, will post a few pics once the rally is officially over for anyone interested.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Good to hear the morini continues to go so well. I was am interested to hear more about the mt07..i nearly bought one but got a better deal on a new w800 which is currently not far behind your morini on mpg..
stafford tomorrow..I hope to crack 90mpg.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The MT feels very much like my Strada only a few kg heavier but about twice the power but seeing
as it's also about twice the cc they haven't come on that far in 40 years, I like it, pulls very hard from
low revs can get both feet flat on the floor and light you can chuck it about brakes are good one of those bikes
you can just get on and ride, did 360 miles in company with a BMW F650 strangely a 800 twin both returned
just over 80 mpg, if you like Morinis then you will like the MT it even feels like a V twin, since that ride the
BMW F650 as been PX'ed for a W800 not seen it in the flesh yet but it looks good in pics, done quite a lot
miles on a W650 but only a few on the 800, they are both very economical, I get good mpg due mostly to
were I ride rarely in town living out in the sticks.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Thanks for the update Ralph. I really like the mt but it is physically a bit small as I am 6'3". Fantastic value for money though.

in my case the w800 just fitted me better plus I like the chrome etc. It cost more than an mt but as I managed to buy at 100 over cost I did not mind..obviously there is a reason for discounts and in this case I believe it is being dropped by 2016.Something to do with Eu interference and having to have abs?

i went to stafford today and visited the club stand.It was very quiet when I was there and in general I did not feel that the changed show format was as good as usual.I was also disappointed that the w800 gave me a numb bum over the 180ml trip and mpg was onky 70!

Cannot fault it otherwise.Its not fast,only has 48bhp yet the torque makes it soo relaxing to ride that it does not matter,plus 60mph is 60 on any bike.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

My mate was there I think on his W800, if they do drop it and it is like the W650
then second hand prices will stay high, your mpg will rise a bit once it gets a few miles
on the clock, not only do they look more like a Bonneville than the Triumph I think they are
a better bike, have you seen the st scrambler ones Hernshaws are doing I was very tempted
with one of those, you can have them built with or without lights and so on and yes thats
Jamie' Whitham he bought one.

Last edited by Ralph on 26 Oct 2014 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Well that's my first attempt at the RBR, submission sent in. It has been a real adventure, lot's of miles and lots of fun. Clocked 6K miles on the Versys alone, that's including the trip to Brno. (1.7K miles) But have done some of the LM's on the RBR on the Blade and the Moto Guzzi.

It was too late in the year for me to use the Corsaro as it took me all year to summon up the money and the attitude to fix it. It is now well fixed and goes as well as it used to, but................... mmmm........ it will take while for me to get the faith back. I know with something this rare and exotic you need to have some attraction that compensates for the "down time".
At least I can say that I am really pleased I didn't buy a Benelli or an MV. According to sources they are appalling to get spares for. NLM did me proud with their help this year, not only
for the Corsaro but also the 125H. They sourced a Kick start shaft from who knows where. Also thanks to Hans for his spares for the Camel. That's another story, well on it's way to being a button starter.
Cannot forget Ralph who posted here about the RBR and introduce me to it. Thanks.
Attachments
scots.jpg
scots.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 29110 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Some pics from the rally
The fire house at Singleton nr Blackpool,
Preston Martyrs Statue,
Toll House nr Littleborough
Miners memorial Sharlston Yorkshire
Shires stone Hardknott pass
Statue of St Bega St Bees
The Countess Pillar Nr Penrith
Monument to The Battle of the Standard, sometimes called the Battle of Northallerton,
Maypole on Ovington Village Green, a few mile from here flood water was up to the silencers.

Did 22 waypoints for 475 points and a bronze award 10 of those were on the Morini,
Morini went well never missed a beat in about 700 miles and over 90 MPG.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Undecided on what to do next year may do the RBR again or Blessed Villages,
don't think I will do the National Rally done that a few times, as it's on one weekend
and I like to pick n choose, a motorcycle economy run would be interesting but the
only one I can find in the UK is for Enfields, got plenty of time to ponder over winter.
:D
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Did the RBR again this year got a bronze award next year I will be doing a few high passes of the UK
here are two pic's from the rally, the Morini is still running well only did about 3/3000 miles on it
this year but is likely to be more next year, the MT-07 was used on the longer runs and as covered
over 8000 miles in 12 months.

Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image