Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Club matters
ahs_drum

Post by ahs_drum »

Hi everybody;

My name is Antonio and I write you from Tenerife, the biggest of the spanish Canary Islands.

I just have adquired a 1976 Morini 350. This is my first classic bike (I owned a Yamaha MT-01), so is the fist time I will try a restoration.

I´m very pleased for have find this club, because I´m sure that it could be very helpful to locate parts and to give advices.

Please, excuse my english. Is probably that it isn´t good as it must be.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

'allo, 'allo,

As a founder member I thought it was about time I joined the forum.
Congrats to Steve for such a splendid site generally BTW.

The 2C/375 hasn't seen much action lately, but I might even drag it along to Cadwell. Are there any spaces left?

I will have to check if it will go on my trailer alongside the French Tart.

Pete Fisher
Steve Brown

Another new member

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi, my name is Steve Brown, I was a member from 1977 to about 1990 ish. I had a 3 1/2 sport, VVS 27S that I did about 100k miles on before it went to it's next home with one Andy Mc Cutcheon. Does Andy still have the bike? does it exist still? I know it was still around about 5 years back but would be pleased to hear that is a survivor, it certainly deserves to be!

I finally renewed my membership after speaking to Roy Masters about his Corsaro at Mallory. I aquired a ropey 150GT from NLM some time ago, and now intend to bodge-sorry fettle that shortly. It only needs the frame cutting and repairing followed by an engine strip and an all over lick of paint. Next weekend perhaps?

An earlier post mentions how common the name Steve is round here, well it just got worse, sorry again. Another club I joined seemed to consist mainly of Daves, but I kept my middle name quiet and got away with it.

So, if you have a spare 60's Corsaro frame, or some engine spares lying about, please let me know!

Cheers, Steve.

Avanti, avanti-lavori! (no idea if thats spelt correctly)
Tarnok

Post by Tarnok »

Hi my name is Jakob. Just switched from Aprilia RSV 1000R to the Corsaro 1200. I currently live in The Netherlands.
marshy

Post by marshy »

Hello, I'm Rod from West Sussex near Gatwick and have just bought a 1976 Strada which I pick up next weekend - can't wait! Never ridden a bike with right foot gear change till now, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Rod
Morinijen

Post by Morinijen »

Hi Everybody. :)

My name is Jenny and I live in South London.
I joined the Morini Riders Club back in 1998 when I bought my first Morini - a 1983 K1 Sport.
In 2001 I bought a 1964-ish Corsaro 125 restoration project from the late great Phil Smith.

Over the past two or three years I've been messing about with other bikes, so unfortunately my Morinis have been languishing in the back of the garage.

Still, I'm planning on getting the 3 1/2 back on the road again this year, and I might put my name down for a track session at the Festival Of 1000 Bikes in July as a means of spurring myself into action.

Hopefully I'll be riding the 3 1/2 at this year's MRC Track Day as well. I'll definitely be at the Stafford Show in April and look forward to seeing some of you there.

Best Wishes,
Jenny.

P.S. Here are some pictures of my bikes...

The collection.

‘Charlie’ and ‘Momo’.

‘Momo’ and ‘Charlie’.

‘Charlie’ and me in the garage.
dorsetsport

Post by dorsetsport »

Hiya, just to introduce myself, based in Deepest Darkest Dorset, running a drum brake sport A / 1 * 05056 which is allegedly a 1974 build. The old girl didn't get registered in the UK till Sept 76 at which time she was declared new. Been with me since may of 1988 although she could do with a bit of TLC now, ( keeps getting put in storage ! ! I KNOW ! ! ).

Andrew
watfordwolf

Post by watfordwolf »

Hi, just to introduce myself. My name is Derek and as you may have guessed I am from Watford. I have recently bought a 350 Strada, which is my first road bike for the best part of forty years. I started road racing in 1968 and carried on right through to 1993. A very brief comeback ended with two nights in hospital in Belgium in 1997. Since then I have done a few sprints but nothing too serious.

I chose a Morini for a number of reasons, the main two of which are that it has an electric start (however feeble) and the gears and brakes are on the right side. Although I know they are less desirable I actually chose to buy a disc braked bike with cast wheels, largely because I figured it would require less maintenance.

Although I confess the bike is going to be a summer toy I am thinking about going to the Coupe des legendes in May this year.

Derek
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hello!
My name is Stephen Robbie - I live in Winchester and have recently bought a used '56 plate' Corsaro 1200.
I have had the gel seat fitted and the termi's/ECU.

The Corsaro's performance stacks-up against any of the contemporary litre-plus bikes I have ridden and sounds awesome!

My first italian bike was a 1976 drum braked 3 1/2 Strada, which I bought for £360 in 1981. (Believed Reg: NPK135P ).

It was in great condition and at the time was my only transport.

I love Italian bikes: Having recently sold an MG 'Griso' and have just parted with a Benelli Tre RS.

Along the way I have owned all sorts, from Laverda triples, various Guzzi's, the odd Ducati, BMW, Buell, Triumph and Jap stuff (phew!).
I'm no great mechanic; having plenty of theory rather than hands-on experience - Hence the modern bikes!

In my youth, whilst serving in the RAF I spent many weekends helping out at 'Oxford M/C Engineers', in exchange for test rides and free servicing.

These days I often help out at '3X motorcycles' and get to ride the latest MV's/Ducatis and....Morini models.

I am a Building Surveyor/Project Manager, but like the buzz from being at the dealers.

Great to be aboard!

Regards
Stephen R
jpcoetzee

Post by jpcoetzee »

My name is JP Coetzee, I live in Bristol and attend the MRC meetings in the Sportsman. I have a 1976 wire-wheeled Sport, recently rebuilt for me by Jim Mclean at Bikecare. Here it is on the stand at The Bristol Classic Motorcycle Show this year.

I've had 2 Morinis since 1993. I'm really only a fair weather rider and don't use my bike enough.
JP Coetzee
ortonpaddy

Post by ortonpaddy »

Hi... My name is Patrick (or Paddy or Patch... depending who i am talking to). I am from Quorn in Leicestershire and I am a very recent Morini RC member after purchasing a 1982 500 Sport about two weeks ago. I brought with my heart rather than my head which I consider to be best (if sometimes foolhardy)..It was Red, Italian and sounded fantastic... I could not resist...

So far I have fully (if unwittingly) plunged myself into Morini home maintenance....

Had bike two days forgot to switch fuel tap on (electric tap replaced by previous owner who did not want Italian electrics next to the fuel tank..Kinda makes sense).... Bike cuts out I try to start with electric start electric start stops with bang and puff of blue smoke!!)

Order new cambelt as I am not sure when last one changed, order flywheel puller... think I will manage without strap holder... three trips to halfords later manage to change cam belt.. woo hoo.... Not quite...

Go to start bike (hottest day of year so far i think)... it kicks back nearly breaking left ankle... get off bike, swear, change position kick start bike...ouch...kicks back... nearly break right ankle... swear... swap feet again this time it starts.... woo hoo.. go to put on helmet,it stalls....swear again ... go to start again this time hot and angry and taking no prisoners.... kicks back... kick start stops working gear box goes all stiff ....... AAAGGGGGGHHHAHHHHAHHHHH...

In my haste lower timing belt pulley had moved round when I put new belt on...hence super advanced ignition timing and swollen ankles and I have also broken the kick start pinion.. and the bits of broken tooth had jammed the drive...DOH!!!, Lesson learnt I hope...

Anyway Its sunday I have now diagnosed the problem... going to make shopping list for NLM and hopefully will have bike back together and running soon (I hope this week)... Praying that in the 5 seconds it did run there was no top end damage....

At least I am beginning to get familiar with the innards of the bike even if I am not riding it.
ringer

Post by ringer »

Hello,

My name is Nick and I live in Northampton. My moniker on this site is ringer because - don't laugh now - my hobby is church bell-ringing.

I passed my bike test several years ago. Previously owned Japanese two-stokes - last one was a Kawasaki H1 500 - blindingly fast, but would not go round corners. A friend of mine had a 3 1/2 Strada, though I didn't take much notice of it at the time - he didn't look after it and it rattled like a can of nails. After a hiatus from bikes of about 25 years I recently bought myself a scooter for commuting and nipping about town - and have got the two-wheel bug again.

After checking with the wife about access to funds and my wish to indulge a former passion again, I am on the lookout to buy a bike. Having assessed that modern bikes are just too darn fast these days, and the chances of me killing myself on one would be too high, have decided to go for a usable, fun 'classic' bike. I have decided to go for a Moto Morini from the 70s/80s because they are different, interesting and sound like fun. I also like fiddling / adjusting / mending things (am an Engineer).

The bike I have decided on is a Morini 500. I am quite tall and would appreciate the extra length and torque compared with the 3 1/2. Unfortunately, they seem to be quite rare! I have even considered importing one from Germany - they have quite an active Morini scene there. If you know of a 500 for sale - any condition considered as long as the price is appropriate - then please let me know. Could be anything from a box of bits needing full restoration, to a complete runner in good condition.

Regards

Nick

Update: 14th August 2008 - I just bought a 500. Yahoo! All I need to do now is sort out the carburation, brakes and a few other dodgy things, get MOT and tax, then I'm back on the road properly.
Last edited by ringer on 15 Aug 2008 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Tightoldbiker

Post by Tightoldbiker »

Hullo .

My name is Paul , and I live in Lincolnshire.

I have a 500T , 1979 , imported from Italy in 1995 , among a few other bikes.

Afraid to say it is on a sorn at the minute , but a lovely old bike , took me about 15 mins to adjust to the R/H gearchange from my other L/H change bikes when I was last riding it.

Is NLM still on the go ?

I am a member of a local MCC with a wide variety of bikes, the only other Morini in the club was a 3 1/2 sport , and unfortunately the old fella who had that seems to have drifted away.

Pleased to meet you all anyway.
Tightoldbiker

Post by Tightoldbiker »

Hello again.

Does anyone reply to posts on here ?

Pleased to meet you all anyway , if my first post got missed.
Morinijen

Post by Morinijen »

Hi Paul.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

It seems that people don't generally post replies in this thread, not sure why, but I'm sure it's not for anti-social reasons.

Hope you get your bike back on the road soon.

Best Wishes,
Jenny.