Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Club matters
Vitesse

Re: Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Post by Vitesse »

Just realised - been here 2 years but haven't thrown in a piccy of the little red beastie!
Plymouth.jpg
Plymouth.jpg (235.34 KiB) Viewed 9549 times
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Very pretty, Vitesse 8)
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
Oli Hulme

Post by Oli Hulme »

Hello. ~I'm Oli and I have a Strada. Well. Most of one

I have most of a 350 Strada I bought in 1986 and took apart in 1994. I'll be renovating it over the next few months...years... :)
If you are interested, you'll be able to see the rebuild in the back of Classic Bike Guide once a month, where I'll be detailing the process starting in the June edition.

Be prepared for questions... Image
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

'Hello. ~I'm Oli and I have a Strada.'

Sounds like alcoholics anonymous lol
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Oli - welcome to the wonderful world of Morini (most of the time...)

I wonder what the registration of your Strada is. I only ask because I sold a Strada back in the early 80s when I traded up to a 500, and it disappeared a couple of years later, and doesn't feature on current DVLA records. My Brother in Law and I bought matching bikes in Bath - he called his SYD because of the registration plates that they both bore...

Just asking, and good rebuilding / refurbishing. Just don't ask about 'the right colour red'...

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Oli Hulme

Post by Oli Hulme »

Hi Chris, It's DHT ***W, so not yours... I have owned a bike that started SYD, but that was a Ducati...
The right shade of red? Well, to be honest, I think there are plenty of Red Morinis out there, (mine was originally silver). And this one is going to be Azzuri blue. Eventually.
Oli Hulme

Post by Oli Hulme »

RedVee wrote: 19 Apr 2021 16:38 'Hello. ~I'm Oli and I have a Strada.'

Sounds like alcoholics anonymous lol

Well, these things do make you a bit obsessive. And skint... :)
nr.

Post by nr. »

Hello, as is the custom, a quick intro... I'm Neil, live in the Cambridgeshire Fens, and have just picked up a Dart as a bit of a restoration project. Not going to go completely to town on it - I like bikes to wear their battle scars with pride! No doubt I'll be asking questions as and when things don't work out. Looking forward to getting to know some of you as things progress :)

Potted history of bikes: started with the obligatory CB100N back in about 1981 or so, went through all sorts of things before falling in love with a TZR250. Ended up owning 14 of the things over the years, mostly for racing, but a few on the road too. Other than TZRs, I have an unhealthy obsession with ZXR750s and TRX850s. This is the first Italian bike I've owned, but I've had the pleasure of riding some lovely Ducatis, Guzzis, MVs and Laverdas over the years. Never a Morini, so far.

Anyhow - that's me - updates to the rebuild will be written about at http://nronketti.wordpress.com/ - there's stuff on there about all sorts of things, but mainly bike rebuilds and racing stuff.
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Hello one and all.
I’m Steve from Rugby and I’ve recently scratched a forty year long itch and bought a 1980 500. She’s not perfect by any means, look closely and you’ll see the red respray (according to the log book she was originally grey) leaves a lot to be desired, I plan to correct that! But generally looks and sounds to be in good fettle.

I’m working my way through the usual things on acquiring a “new” bike, new cam belt, starter shoes (all helped by the previous posts and advice gleaned from this forum) oil change next, and no doubt will be posing questions on this excellent forum with a view to get the old girl ready for the road and enjoying the Morini experience!
So, to introduce myself, I’m in my late fifties, interests include keeping fit, model kit making (yeah I know, a bit nerdy!) and anything mechanically old, be it Bikes, cars, aircraft, I just like old things and I must admit to a growing aversion to most things new. ( especially when computer technology is mixed with combustion engines!)

When I was young and stupid I raced speedway without much distinction ( I only managed to get into a couple of junior teams) road bikes I’ve had include a fizzy, RD200, (off road XR500).
A few year’s ago I bought a very cheap Xj600n to get back into biking and now the Morini.
When I was a sprog , a guy down the road had a three and a half and myself and my brother were smitten and that fatal attraction has never dimmed, so I’m looking forward to being part of this special community and meeting some of you.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Steve,
Welcome to morini ownership!

You’ll find a raft of help on this forum and there are quite a few club members not too far from you.

The warwickshire section is your local one and we meet second Monday of the month at caffeine and machine near ettington at 18.30. We have a WhatsApp group for the section, if you want adding to it then send me your mobile number by PM and I’ll add you on.

Look forward to meeting you, maybe on 12th July (if your bike isn’t together we’ll forgive you for turning up by other means, but it’s just good to meet morini folk and talk face to face.

Best regards, and enjoy the journey,
Tom
Ming

Post by Ming »

Hello Steve, welcome. I'm sure you will enjoy your Morini. Certainly a good idea to change the cambelt straight away - Paul Compton has a series of most informative videos on Youtube, including cambelt change. As the starter motor is attached to the cover on that side, it probably makes sense to look at the starter shoes at the same time - though my experience with a 350 K2 with a starter was that the kick start is very easy, the ES is very noisy and dismantling and rebuilding it is not the easiest job, so if it is working satisfactorily it might be worth leaving it until winter.
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Hi Ming

Thanks for the welcome, I can’t wait to get her out on the road, I’ve already done the belt and the shoes, the starter did work but as I had the cover off to do the belt I thought I may as well have the shoes re- lined as they were extremely low anyway. I also drained and re- filled the starter motor gearbox oil with a graphite oil while I was at it.
I will follow advice and kick start when cold and only use the starter when warm, she starts nice and easy which is a bonus.
Again, nice to make your acquaintance and I hope you’re having a better summer than we are here and able to get some riding in, it’s very wet and thundery as I write this!
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

nr. wrote: 27 May 2021 12:45 Hello, as is the custom, a quick intro... I'm Neil, live in the Cambridgeshire Fens, and have just picked up a Dart as a bit of a restoration project. Not going to go completely to town on it - I like bikes to wear their battle scars with pride! No doubt I'll be asking questions as and when things don't work out. Looking forward to getting to know some of you as things progress :)

Potted history of bikes: started with the obligatory CB100N back in about 1981 or so, went through all sorts of things before falling in love with a TZR250. Ended up owning 14 of the things over the years, mostly for racing, but a few on the road too. Other than TZRs, I have an unhealthy obsession with ZXR750s and TRX850s. This is the first Italian bike I've owned, but I've had the pleasure of riding some lovely Ducatis, Guzzis, MVs and Laverdas over the years. Never a Morini, so far.

Anyhow - that's me - updates to the rebuild will be written about at http://nronketti.wordpress.com/ - there's stuff on there about all sorts of things, but mainly bike rebuilds and racing stuff.
Neil, I'm really enjoying your blog posts on your exploits and experiences with your Dart. Thank you.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Good evening all! Well my file is too big (story of my life..) so I can’t show you a pic of my new to me 1980 Strada. I always had one on my radar, a vibrant snap shot of the erratic, glorious and historic Italian motorcycle story. The previous owner has been fastidious in updating it to a real world motorcycle to ride with Sachse ignition, updated master cylinder and other sensible mods that, yes, doesn’t present it as 100% original but will satisfy me, particularly as the very friendly and welcoming team and members on here advise me that the bikes often left the factory with various changes and revisions over the years. Nobody can explain which red is the correct one, was that the right seat or mudguard? and much more! I also own a Guzzi 940 Bellagio which can go anywhere, do anything and I adore it. The little Morini though rides well, at a certain pace and has brought a big smile to my face on the first ride last week. I live in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, near some great roads and I’m looking forward to seeing you out there 😀
rikpward

Post by rikpward »

Hi everyone. I just acquired a 350 Strada from my mother. It needs some TLC, the tank and panels are off to Dream Machine for a respray. Needs a decent polish and a few replacements parts, but mechanically it's in great shape having had a complete top and bottom rebuild.

Although I am from Hampshire, I now live in the outskirts of Burton upon Trent and can be found knocking around the Staffordshire moors, the Peaks or the Dales.

I love all bikes old and new and have a pretty decent range over the years: currently I own the 350 Strada, Suzuki DL1050XT (V-Strom) and Buel XB9R Firebolt - a v-twin for every occasion. I am a massive supporter of self-improvement and thus I am an observer for the IAM and know/support UpRight in Derbyshire. My pet peeve is loud cans - just do not get me started - nothing wrong with fruity, but obnoxious does it for me... you can probably tell, that I do not believe loud cans save lives (they don't and there is scientific evidence to prove this!)