More space

Let me know what you think of the site and forum.
VesaII

More space

Post by VesaII »

Hello

My aim was to help other Morinists with some advices and ideas but i cannot upload any more pictures in my thread although recent pictures cannot take more disk space than 5megs!!! 5megs was a good limit on -90, when disk space was expensive, but now disk is almost free. Could you please rise the limit. I can even pay for extra 50 megs, if site needs support.

Br,
VesaII
72degrees

Re: More space

Post by 72degrees »

You could upload the photos to an image hosting site like FlickR and insert a link. Unfortunately Photobucket started charging but there is now http://postimages.org/. It looks fairly easy to use with a 'hot link for forums' you can drag and drop. Even VMCC members are using it OK ;) The downside is that if the hosting site closes down or stops third party linking without a subscription your posts will lose the images - though you may still have them safe on your device. Also, I assume uploading to postimages.org allows them free use of your images for anything they like.

From discussion on the VMCC forum, I think the phpBB forum software also has some built in attachment limits on each post, which an increase in server space wouldn't automatically address.
VesaII

Post by VesaII »

Yes, already hit this 3 images per post limit, but now i hit to some higher level limit that say: no more pictures for you (on this thread)

Yes i know this possibility to save pictures on some third system, but that is also a -90 way of doing things.

Hope administration are able to make it easy for users and simply rise quota.

Br,
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

As the curator of a website and forum (gilera.org.uk) I'm conscious of the rate at which large images can eat up space. Disk space is very cheap to provide on site, but not so cheap when part of a web hosting package, and the cost is on-going, bearing in mind it has to be paid for out of club subscriptions. I doubt the MRC use their own server.

Perhaps the web maestro can confirm what total storage is available under the current deal and an upgrade can considered. Some web hosting setups limit file upload size in the php.ini configuration file for all attachments, so that would still be a constraint on individual posts via phpBB.

There has been much talk on forums about the need for an auto-resize extension and I see there is now an extension available, but it may not work on some hosts ( exec() function disabled) and setup is not trivial.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2445391
VesaII

Post by VesaII »

You have right, there should be a auto downsizing and that way it will not harm readability. You can make them quite small when properly done.

I also presume write usage of this site is not very intense so DB growth is already quite moderate. Most of time we do not even need pictures to make our message clear.

Br,
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I use a jpeg reduction website and post files <100kB.

May be old fashioned, but it works. You may notice there is no advertising on the website!
VesaII

Post by VesaII »

MickeyMoto wrote:I use a jpeg reduction website and post files <100kB.

May be old fashioned, but it works. You may notice there is no advertising on the website!
Some manual labor done in old fashion way ;)

But thanks anyway. My png pictures got halved in size.

Still hoping for bigger quota...
Last edited by VesaII on 29 Mar 2018 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Ming

Post by Ming »

VesaII wrote:Some manual labor done in old fashion way ;)...
That's Morinis for you... :wink:
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Webmaestro will no doubt explain when he has some free time,(work calls) but the club need to run the entire website, pay for it, make sure it is enduring and reliable and up to date, and this is all done by volunteers so we have to make some compromises. Are you a club member? Perhaps you could volunteer to help the webmaestro, we have a vacancy :-)
VesaII

Post by VesaII »

Hi

As a IT professional I sure understand your situation. Unfortunately my limited abilies are on MS side and i presume this site is running on some Unix variant. What kind of help do you need? You can mail to my private address if you prefer.