Panniers

Anything to do with motorcyles
stuartgurney

Panniers

Post by stuartgurney »

Any advice for good quality panniers for a strada?
MickeyMoto

Re: Panniers

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Stuart,

Givi do some nice smallish panniers. The last time I spoke with Givi, though, they didn't do a universal fitting kit. Probably stopped by the lawyers in case somebody did something stupid then sued Givi.

I tend to use Oxford throwovers, so depends on whether you want permanent or temporary.

You could try Craven, they were still producing panniers the last time I looked.

https://www.craven-equipment.co.uk

You live in a lovely part of the world, great roads for a Potter on a Morini.

Mike.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have been using some Oxford First Time throwovers for ages. Not waterproof of course. I tried applying Nikwax Spray and use internal bags.Any of this type run the risk of rubbing paintwork. Bit of antislip mat can mitigate this. Had to rig up some suitable extra strapping.
These should by rights have fallen apart by now but they have not.Cheap as chips.
Those Enduristan Moonsoon panniers look tasty but I cannot justify the cost. Lomo might be an option.
Have alternative old crock with hard cases .
John
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Hard or soft panniers?
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Throw overs or a kit bag. Any panniers I use plastic bags inside - I trust nothing! Lomo kit very good, best stuff is Kriega.
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Kriega is good, and waterproof if used correctly. I have used a 20 litre one as a tank bag on the Corsaro on several occasions, and have also loaded up the Granpasso with the 30 litre version.

We had a pair of Swagman throw over panniers when we went to France in 1980 on the 500 (two up, 1,500 miles, SW France, then up to Paris and across to St. Malo an epic trip) and more times than I care to remember to the Isle of Man. They are still pretty water resistant, and as Red Vee says, everything you don't want to get wet can go into a black plastic bin bag...

Doubt whether you can get bespoke stuff these days, but I have seen several Stradas with Craven frames and panniers fitted as per this picture...
Attachments
DSC00096 (2).JPG
DSC00096 (2).JPG (365.15 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
"I'll use the Morini"
jfh

Post by jfh »

If you look on this forum under 'projects' I posted some panniers I made from scrap materials!
I've noticed Krauser racks and panniers can be reasonable on ebay and the'yre quite adaptable.
jfh

Post by jfh »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6134

I think this should take you there!