Transmission noise

Anything to do with motorcyles
Alvinmotors

Transmission noise

Post by Alvinmotors »

I am quite a new owner of a Moto Morini 350 Kanguro X2, which is running perfectly ok, however with following exception:
On ‘throttle off’ (engine braking) there is a noticeable transmission noise (in any gear). I first believed this possibly come from the chain idler roller and made a new one with a proper sprocket (which seems to be a good modification), but this didn’t solve the mentioned noise in question.
Has anybody experienced the same ‘throttle off’ noise problem?
Could this be created by axial play in the helical gear primary transmission? (I have not yet opened up the engine transmission cover.) If so, which is the best method solving this?
P.I. Staker

Re: Transmission noise

Post by P.I. Staker »

Maybe unrelated, but bought a G650GS once and it did what you are describing. Fitted a new chain and the noise went. Might be worth a try before pulling things to pieces.
Alvinmotors

Re: Transmission noise

Post by Alvinmotors »

P.I. Staker wrote:Maybe unrelated, but bought a G650GS once and it did what you are describing. Fitted a new chain and the noise went. Might be worth a try before pulling things to pieces.
Many thanks for this suggestion.
It was in fact on my mind to replace the chain, but then also the 14 teeth chain sprocket. It would be great if this will cure my transmission noise. :D