Insurance

Anything to do with motorcyles
Lewes96

Insurance

Post by Lewes96 »

Just been quoted £111 for insurance for the 3 1/2. Fifties male with no accidents and a clean licence since 1981. Up from £90 last year. Is this a bit steep?
Greybeard

Re: Insurance

Post by Greybeard »

If its a renewal with the same company, the chances are theyll be trying to lift your leg. The only way youll be sure is to get quotes from other insurers - there are too many variables that companies like to call on to get further into your wallet. One company tried to load my youngest daughters car policy because I have a collection of old motorbikes and a couple of old cars - none of which she drove or rode :shock:
£111 does sound a bit pricey - with RH I pay 307 for 10 bikes (including a 92 R100RT) and my 60 year old Rover. They dont charge admin fees for adding bikes (the BMW cost me 4 quid to add on last year) niether have they increased costs over the years.
Last year my modern Bonneville cost just 70 quid with Swinton.

Steve
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

The insurance game is a funny old game. Yes I agree with GB that your quote sounds steep. I also had to spend a bit of time ringing around as most of the classic insurers were easier to deal with this way than online. In the end I went with the same broker I've had for the last 6 or 7 years-Peter James. For just one bike it ought to be less than £100, possibly less than £90. I tried RH too and they were way higher! Maybe because I was only insuring 6 bikes it wasn't worth the trouble for them? ;-)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
nicko

Post by nicko »

Always worth shopping around and comparison sites, I had quotes ranging from £76 upwards. Mid 40's male, 1980 3 1/2, zero no claims bonus for this bike, 1 claim last year. You should be able to knock £20 off that quote if you can be ar*ed. It depends on whether you fancy an evening of getting insurance quotes.
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Thanks all, I will have to at getting it down
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I will also recommend RH, although I have also had good service from Peter James. I have about 16 bikes on my policy, including two that are nominally too modern.

In addidtion RH are providing insurance for the club bike, which gives comprehensive cover for any rider over 30.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru