tools for traveling

Anything to do with motorcyles
norbert

tools for traveling

Post by norbert »

… coming from another thread …

For me the most interesting and exciting thing related to our old bikes is travelling with them, to me that´s the salt in the soup!

I travelled a lot with Rocinante y Dulcinea from the north of Germany to Spain, Italy, France, all over Germany and with my first Tremmezzo in the beginning of the 80s once to England and Ireland.
Since I returned to that beautiful bikes in 2000 I began reducing the tools and spare parts to carry with me (also thinking that the spares you carry you won´t need!). As you may know I built up Dulcinea by my own so I do know exactly what I need (there is no phillips screw and the only slotted screw is the one for the mixture on the carbs).

The discovering of a very tiny but strong ratchet of high quality from Wera Mini Zyklop/Förch (Wera 8001 A , 60 dents snaping at 6°) was a great step forward. All kind of bits enter directly, together with a ¼ inch adapter and an extansion you only have to carry the bits and hexagonal nuts you need. And if you solder a ¼ inch nut that you´ll lnever need (for ex. 7mm) in an old school plug spanner you can even take out the rear plug of a 501 Camel using the ¼ inch adaptor withut dismanteling half the bike!

And you won´t need to carry a 14 mm spanner that we only need to take of the cube of the carbs and not even a 17 and 19 or 28 or 30 mm spanner to take of the wheels or adjust the chain if you have a nice Knippex pliers on bord that opens parallel and will not hurt the nuts. (the big spanners of the foto usually I don’t carry with me)

With the tools in this two bags that don´t ocupy that much place I can take off the cilinders and do the normal maintenance works. Ok, to take off the alternator I have to look for a 22mm spanner and loosen the nut by stepping on the rear brake with 6. gear engaged, but I have the extractor for the flywheel on bord.
k-DSCI0401.JPG
k-DSCI0401.JPG (85.44 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
k-DSCI0404.JPG
k-DSCI0404.JPG (75.74 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
This is meant only as a beginning of collecting ideas to minimize and optimize tools and spare parts when travelling with our signorinas. Surely there will come up some useful suggestions. At least I´ll keep on with longer trips as long as I can :wink:
mbmm350s

Re: tools for traveling

Post by mbmm350s »

Hello Norbert
That's very interesting your optimising of the toolkit.
I think after many years of travelling you have reached the epitome of the travelling tool kit.

Is that an ex CZ or Jawa spanner on the left?
I have a Suzuki 14/17 spanner and a Kawasaki plug tool.
Since I travel in the company of a 250 2C we also carry the 22mm for the wheel nuts.

I ground the end of some needle nose pliers to double as circlip pliers.

I will add some fuses, zip ties, wire, a length of fuel pipe oh and disposable gloves.
And all manner of small parts that I will rarely use but donate to broken down Morinist like exhaust collets.

What about spares?
For longer trips a belt, a pickup and a transducer.
some bulbs?

Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

An RAC card
Toothbrush
toothpaste
Deodorant
Overnight clothes
Soap
Towel
Phone charger
Midge repellent for Scotland
Torch

I'm not saying Morinis are unreliable, but there are some things that cannot be repaired. I also carry spark plugs and the tool to get them out. Lock wire is also very useful as is insulation tape.
norbert

Post by norbert »

After I having had problems with a red pickup in Italy 1980 England 1982 on longer trips i always carry a pickup an a transducer (never needed them myself but at some morini meetings other peolpe could get home :wink: ) These have their place together with a chain lock in a tupper box in a folding compartment underneath my aluminium hump.
k-DSCI0026.JPG
k-DSCI0026.JPG (54.94 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
isolation tape
some cable ties, a bit of wire
fuel pipe
a bit of "cold metal" 2 component epoxi
inlet rubber manifold (had a lot of problems with them for teh 501)
chain lube
sometimes a front/back pushrod
an the tiny box of treasures like exhaust collets and al kin od screw nipples
k-DSCI0405.JPG
k-DSCI0405.JPG (70.62 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
As I have a very sofisticated electronic in the head lamp i take withe me a spare platine (in case of a destroyed lamp) that is in the wooden box

That looks like a lot but ocupies less space than the rain preservative. I don´t take that stuff with me on any trip. But I use to make longer turns of about 3-500km and then i feel much better having with me some of the essential spares that you won´t find on the way.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Before leaving for my last trip to spain autumn 21 and spring 22, leaving the bike during the winter in Alicante, my electronic spezi convinced me that the most important thing on a trip like that of 6200km to carry with is an alternator. I´ve never done that before. So I made a little box of plywood and it also found place in the old Harro tank bag.
Crossing the Alpes after visiting the Morano meeting coming back from Spain
k-20220608_090711.jpg
k-20220608_090711.jpg (139.18 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
First I thought that this bike would not serv for long jorneys, but as it was build for my ergonomics it does :P

(pardon for bragging, but I like that foto very much and it reminds me of that fantastic trip :oops: )

The exhaust spanner I bought don´t remember where, it´s foldable and serves for several sizes 350, 500, Konis ... It has no stemp of a moto mark.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I don't do long trips on a Morini these days - more a question of my reliability than the machine to be fair.

I still take it on VMCC section runs and though they are rarely longer than 100 or so miles I take a few tools. No toolbox on the 2C/375 (removed to facilitate 350 engine and space to mount NLM ignition module and coils), so usually carried in a jiffy bag in a magnetic tank bag.

A useful two ended ring spanner with one end for the rear wheel spindle nuts and the other for the front. I can't remember where it originated. Not a Morini issue one I think - possibly even from a 1975 R90/6 toolkit. A Halfords 1/4 drive socket set in its small plastic box covers most small hex nuts and screw types. A weird plug spanner with a hex head that you can actually get the rear plug out with using an open ended spanner on the hex (350 is a tight fit in a 250 frame). A small 'adjustable' spanner and small thin nosed mole grips. Articulated C 'hook' spanner for exhaust nuts. The kit also works for the 57 Gilera 175 with just a substitution of spare plug type. That has side tool boxes, but the knurled fastener on one let go on the Levis Cup trial a couple of years ago, so I tend not to trust them. Luckily, another locally based competitor spotted the jiffy bag (luckily with address label) of spanners it contained at the side of a lane and reunited me with them a few days later.

When I did do longer journeys on the Morini I would carry a spare pickup and transducer. I discovered by trial and error in the car park of a Mr Bed hotel in France that you can mix old and new types in one combination (I misremember which) as a 'get you home' dodge. Spare clutch and throttle (long) cable - though these days I might risk just solderless nipples.

If out on the 2019 Husqvarna 401, it's such a box of modern EFI tricks that I just make sure I have a credit card and my RAC membership number - and a cheap Rolson 7 in 1 Mini Multi Tool with LED which might at least help to change a bulb.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Since the invention of the mobile phone I haven't carried any tools.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Fastmongrel wrote: 27 Jan 2023 13:37 Since the invention of the mobile phone I haven't carried any tools.
A possible 'tool' - though best to use it before a long trip in to terra incognita. ;)

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Yes, the old '95% of population coverage' not land mass coverage.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

72degrees wrote: 27 Jan 2023 13:48
Fastmongrel wrote: 27 Jan 2023 13:37 Since the invention of the mobile phone I haven't carried any tools.
A possible 'tool' - though best to use it before a long trip in to terra incognita. ;)

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage
My bikes never break down.

they sometimes fail to proceed though ©Rolls Royce
1981 3 1/2 Strada
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I like the Knipex pliers wrench 8603150 myself. Secondhand price kept the cost acceptable and I am quite partial to Heyco spanners à la BMW airhead tools when they turn up.
What’s the cleverest plug spanner?
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

As said, I´m delighted withe the old style one in combination with this little ratchet (on the first foto the ratchet is inside the spanner). I guess less volume is nearly imposible and it works even for the rear plugs of an enduro :wink: