Yet another Excalibur 501 on eBay

Excaliburs, New Yorks
julianharty

Yet another Excalibur 501 on eBay

Post by julianharty »

You'll need to be quick unless you're already bidding for today's offering. Someone's selling a stored Excalibur 501 with an unhealthy bottom end https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154539344669 If you do end up buying it, I'd like the exhaust downtubes as spares for my 501.

PS it's currently around 5x the price of the previous one viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6546. As that's £735 currently, for someone who wants a 501 engine it's not that expensive. That said, if you need to rebuild the engine then that's not an inexpensive undertaking!
Steve Brown

Re: Yet another Excalibur 501 on eBay

Post by Steve Brown »

So, who bought it then? It wasn't me! I managed to keep my wallet hidden. Tempted though for sure.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Steve Brown wrote: 29 Jul 2021 15:41 So, who bought it then? It wasn't me! I managed to keep my wallet hidden. Tempted though for sure.
Go on, explain. Why would you be tempted by a hideous custom thing with a knackered engine?
Ming

Post by Ming »

Vitesse wrote: 30 Jul 2021 12:24 Go on, explain. Why would you be tempted by a hideous custom thing with a knackered engine?
Cheap? 501 engine? Complete? Not hideous and a surprisingly good ride? :roll:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I ran one for a while. It handles well, does 200 miles on a tank and the engine is a peach. Some of the plastics are fragile. It is not a looker, but then neither am I! The worst thing is the pi55 taking from those who don't know. You can't see it Iwhen you are riding it. As the saying goes, don't knock it until you've tried it! This does not, of course, apply to Ducatis...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Vitesse wrote: 30 Jul 2021 12:24
Steve Brown wrote: 29 Jul 2021 15:41 So, who bought it then? It wasn't me! I managed to keep my wallet hidden. Tempted though for sure.
Go on, explain. Why would you be tempted by a hideous custom thing with a knackered engine?
Yes I was interested in the knackered engine but in the end I didn't go for it because of the knackered engine. I bet it was just the carbs needed balancing...
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The engine from that Excalibur is currently sitting on my worshop floor.

I didn't buy the bike, but I've been overhauling a 500 sei engine (smoking due to a stuck oil control ring) that rurned out to also have a worn out gearbox. The owner of the engine bought the Excalibur for the gearbox.

Very little oil came out when I drained it, but what did come out had a high proportion of metal fragments.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

And to think there may be a decent set of starter gears and cush rubbers lurking....
John
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Paul,
I hope the gearbox from the 501 will work well in the 500 engine. I'd appreciate you connecting me with the person who bought the excalibur as I assume they won't want or need the exhaust system. And some of the other bits and pieces from that bike may be useful too.

Thank you
Julian