Starter motor problem

Excaliburs, New Yorks
3potjohn

Starter motor problem

Post by 3potjohn »

On the way up from Sunny Exeter to the rally in Hulme End I made a single stop at Ashbourne for motion lotion and my starter motor made a barely effective clacking sound.It just started so I pressed on to the campsite where it was no better . It then failed completely. The Coguaro would not kick from cold but would do after running fir perhaps a minute . A bump start and uninterrupted ride home. Thank goodness for a 22L tank.
Upon removing the starter gear cover I found the one way bearing was no longer one way.The tension spring which retains the rollers had snapped. I have a spare which clearly works.
The Vulkollan “ cheeses” in the “flexible coupling rubbery” look as good as when fitted in March 19th.
The old oil is pretty dark so high time to change it.
John
morini_tom

Re: Starter motor problem

Post by morini_tom »

Great news that it’s not one of the harder bits to source. I imagine the one way bearing itself will be a standard part but I don’t recall seeing a visible code on it and I’ve never had one out of its housing. Perhaps you could try extracting your failed one to see if there are any obvious codes on it.

The question is why it’s failed. I’ve never seen this bearing break up like that. Is the vulkolan allowing too much engine shock through into the bearing perhaps?

Was great to see a Coguaro at the rally, thanks for bringing it up and fair play on doing Exeter in one hit. I imagine you’re currently sitting on something very soft!
3potjohn

Re: Starter motor problem

Post by 3potjohn »

Whilst investigating a slight noise, which turned out to be from the chain slider, I mistakenly replaced the original sprag bearing with one from the budget end of the market. These bearings range in price from around £18 to over £100 for similar looking items. I can only think a rough edge gradually damaged the spring. Or it may be a random failure. So simple to fix.
John