Imola or Milan: Mostra Scambio

Post details of any upcoming Morini event or any event you think Morini enthusiats would be interested in.
holeinthehead

Imola or Milan: Mostra Scambio

Post by holeinthehead »

Hi All,
I lucked out and won a '77 350 on eBay and it's now sitting in my shop waiting its turn on the lift. It's a good runner and just needs a good electric and cosmetic overhaul, with some bits missing. VERY EXCITED to get it on the road.

After some parts-pricing and research, I realized that after shipping costs from Italia, I could probably pay a good chunk of a ticket to go pick them up in person. The Fall options look like Imola in September and Milan in November. Anyone been that can give some insight?

From the pix I can find, it looks like Imola is bigger, but kind of a trade show; whereas Milan is as much antiques as moto parts. Is there another I'm not aware of? I thought I saw a few different swaps in Milan in October and November, so maybe more bang-for-buck at one vs. the other.

I've got a few Italians, so Guzzi and Ducati bits are on the list, too.
morini_tom

Re: Imola or Milan: Mostra Scambio

Post by morini_tom »

Congratulations on the purchase!

Mostra scambio at Novegro has always been on my radar as an interesting, (relatively) inexpensive day out (when you factor in how cheap stuff is compared to the uk, the selection of parts and the significantly better coffee)

I've been possibly 2 or three times before, never really needing anything but always coming back with a bag full of parts. In particular dart-era switchgear, carbs, lights and brake components have been almost two-a-penny.

November 2016's mission was for fuel taps. Chances of finding a proper dart one were slim to none, but I was hopeful of finding some appropriate vacuum or electric taps as many Italian bikes of the late 80s/early 90s had similar. I also wanted to speak with the morini traders about the new aluminium dart fuel tanks we are desperately trying to bring into being.

I flew out of Heathrow with a friend of mine (guzzi owner but other than that he's a pretty sound chap), and we arrived at the show after a short walk from the airport at about 11am.

The show was most enjoyable, as big and varied as ever, although I'd say there was more car stuff than last time (particularly abarth and fiat 500). The selection of morinis and morini parts was a little disappointing. Franco Nanni was there with his excellent selection of new and good used parts, although nothing dart. The French Morini Passion club had a stand and I had a nice chat with them.

There were as always a good handful of morini singles, but I only saw two morini vees- a lovely wire wheel disc on display with the French club, and a racer in amongst the trade stands- at first very interesting looking but on closer inspection what could only be described as terrifying. Ironically if they'd bothered painting the frame it might have covered up the bad welding and may have looked like a very cleverly re-engineered racer!

If the show is an indicator of what is still available in Italy, it has to be a worry for us. There were so very few parts for our bikes. Dart type switchgear is still common, with several stands selling it NOS for around 40 euro a side. But 80s and early 90s stuff was thin on the ground. I thought I would be bound to find vacuum fuel taps, even generic ones, but nothing at all unless you wanted a manual tap. Franco Nanni had a few which would work ok on a dart, and so I bought two from him (a vacuum tap a-la kanguro and one with a solenoid similar to the dart but without the level sender (K2??) ) and a couple of new green neoprenes. I managed to find a pair of well used but ok dart mirrors in amongst the trade stands so snapped them up.

It's the first time I've been to novegro where I've come back with parts worth less than the sum of what they cost me plus the flights, which is a shame, but I had a most enjoyable day out, walked 8.5 miles, drank some good coffee, and saw some interesting machinery- all in the lovely mild Milanese autumn, so it still beats the UK autojumble scene in my eyes.

In short, it's a great day out provided you can afford to come back with nothing. You might get lucky and find gold, but just don't pin your hopes on it.
holeinthehead

Post by holeinthehead »

Nice, thanks Tom
Sounds like it's going to be a proper decision then, between Novegro and Imola. I'm after stuff for 60's and 70's bikes and really anything old and Italian. I know there are quite a few toy swaps in Milan in September, so it may come down to what else is on.
I realize that whatever the case, there are worse places to spend time.
holeinthehead

Post by holeinthehead »

Quick/last minute update - I decided to time my sabbatical time-off with a couple of swaps in November. I'll be hitting Novegro next week, which happens to be during EICMA. The following weekend I'll be further south in Sora for a weekend swap there that seems promising.

I'll be popping into the Guzzi, Morini and Ducati Museums and factories, so it should be a fun trip. Really, though I'm treating this as a expensive jaunt for coffee and charcuterie, so as not to be too disappointed.

Very excited. Will report back if anyone is interested.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

We're there Thursday afternoon through Saturday (late flight back to the UK); the Morini factory visit is interesting and only a short hop south... PM with contact details if you're around at the same time...

Good hunting and visiting!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
holeinthehead

Post by holeinthehead »

Holy Crap - the first day was fantastic. Those of you closer to the EU may be a tad more used to the idea of seeing so, so many Italian motos in one place, but I had a hard time keeping my composure. I started at 11:30 and didn't stop walking for 5 hours, not sure if I saw everything, going back on Sunday. If Imola is the 'big one', then I'll start saving for that trip now for sure.

I also met Franco Nanni - was able to pick up a few bits where eBay has failed me.

@Chris - will do. Doing EICMA tomorrow or Sunday.
hombre

Post by hombre »

If you can't get enough, I recall there is also quite a large one near Vicenza end of april. And if you google 'mostrascambio' you might even find more. Good hunting!
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

We counted over 30 Morinis at the autojumble, and 4 at the EICMA...

A good weekend, if a little hectic! :lol: :lol:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"